EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Someone help me make sense of this. PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Someone help me make sense of this. PLEASE!

When I bought the bike it had a chirp. Not overly loud, but enough to make me keep the stereo up pretty loud. It sounded like it was coming from the fairing so I tightened every bolt and that changed nothing. So I checked everything that I thought might make the noise. Muffler mounts, motor mounts, heat shield clamps, head leaks, header leaks, etc. etc. Nothing worked so I decided to live with it for a while.
Then the weather started to get a lot warmer and the bike started squealing on warm days. I could hear it coming from the clutch area of the primary when I lowered my head to have a listen. Then I realized that the chirp was also coming from there. They both had the same pitch which really had me confused.
The chirp would happen only when moving and accelerating or cruising. It would go away when I disengaged the clutch to shift, decelerate, or stop.
The squeal would happen while moving only, but in gear or neutral, clutch engaged or disengaged, accelerated or decelerating.
I had heard and read that the wrong primary oil could cause this condition, so I changed it from the ATF that was in it to a hydraulic oil that I use in my old Ford Jubilee tractor. That didn't change anything. So today I changed it to HD Formula + and that changed nothing. I adjusted the primary chain and the drive belt as well. The belt appears to be in great condition as does the rear drive pulley. Obviously I can't account for the front pulley, but everything else seems to be in good working order. Anyway, still no change.
So just to rule out a squeaky belt, I purchased a can of CRC belt conditioner and sprayed the inside of the belt twice. The directions say to use it every 3000 miles and only use what the belt can absorb. It goes on wet, but when the propellant evaporates, it seems pretty dry.
Well, the chirp and squeal both are gone. The belt dressing didn't sling off and make a mess and the belt is quiet as a church mouse.
My problem with all this is; I have never used a belt dressing up until now. I always considered it a "snake oil" of sorts. Temporary fix at best. So my question is; is this a viable solution to a squeaky belt or did I mask a bigger problem. And if that's the case, what do you think the problem might be? I'm at a loss as to what is causing the belt to to make so much noise.
Thanks for reading my long post.

Last edited by Gunslingertom; 05-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 843 Posts

I believe you have masked it for a while, had to replace my belt to get rid of a sqeek, can only guess that they get dry and the belt dressing provides some moisture, check the belt straightness also.

Got a HD sidecar belt with both new pully's, sqeek is gone but will bark on take off at times, gave up on locating that sound

Last edited by 1997bagger; 05-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep a close on any side wear on both sides of the drive belt...

Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 AM
waldhorn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Keep a close on any side wear on both sides of the drive belt...
I agree...Have you measured your deflection and alignment of the rear wheel? My bike gets touchy even after only a quarter turn.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm with Bob and Waldhorn. It is quite likely your vehicle and/or wheel alignment are slightly out, so the belt is brushing against the flange on the front pulley. The conditioner is lubricating things for now, but may well wear off and the squeak return. Now you've identified it, the solution is to treat the symptom, not the squeak!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Harley once sold an anti-squeak belt dressing years ago.

Mine has done it ( squeak squeak squeak,) for the last 60,000 miles.

I put a dab of Anti Seize on just the 8 inches of the exposed SIDE of the belt (that you can get to with the saddlebags off,) once every couple of months ( 2 or 3,000 mile intervals,) and it stays silent.

There is no undue wear indications anywhere on that side surface either. The belt walks to the outside a little (by design,) on the rear pulley and that's where my squeak comes from.

No side contact on my front pulley at all. Just passed 107,000 miles on the original belt and pulleys so I guess the belt doesn't think it's an issue either.

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

My 99 FXSTC was quiet as a church mouse, my 94 makes all kinds of noises, squeeks and you can almost hear the teeth if you flick off the motor and coast at slow speed. I've tried all sorts of adjustments, loose belt, tight belt, stays the same. I sprayed some shinny stuff_(tire black)- on the plastic belt guard, got some on the belt and all the noises went away for a short while. I just adjusted it to spec and live with the noises, pullies and belt look fine.

Doug

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dealt with this recently. I also thought initially that the squeak/chirp was coming from primary. Nope. Tighten adjusters 1/4 turn both sides, squeak gone. Just a couple of asides: that belt is extremely strong. Buddy told me about a shop that used to have a dyna our larger bike hung from the ceiling on a drive belt! Also, the belt can last forever. Signs of wear are fraying and chunks missing. Until then, and with proper alignment, you are god to go. Additionally, harley belt lube DOES WORK to eliminate squeaks and does no harm whatsoever.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Jethro
Buddy told me about a shop that used to have a dyna our larger bike hung from the ceiling on a drive belt!

When Harley introduced the belt drive in 1980, they hung a Dresser from the rafters at the Dealer Show, suspending the bike just 2 feet above the floor.

It was held up by just ONE STRAND of a drive belt.

Looked like the bike was floating. ( Pretty cool promotion!)

Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I jacked the bike up (notice I have no clever nickname for mine except "the bike") today and checked wheel alignment and everything checked out as I knew it would. I've had a blown tire and body surfed down the pavement before, so I'm very **** about tire and wheel condition.
Anyway, I got my head way up under there and looked at the front pulley and I gotta say, everything looks great.
So I guess until something breaks, I'll keep hitting the belt with some type of dry lube when it starts squealing. Just hopefully if lasts a while.
Fact is, problems like this make me talk myself into maintenance that it may not necessarily need right now, but will, and buy parts that may not actually be worn out, but eventually will. So I've got a load of spare incidentals for it.
Any one else have ideas not mentioned or explored?

Quick Reply: Someone help me make sense of this. PLEASE!