EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Hypercharger

Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypercharger

I have an 86 Electra Glide Classic with an EVO motor that was rebuilt 10k miles ago and it has an ev13 cam is there any advantage to adding a Hypercharger other than it looks cool?

Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I put one on a bike i had once and all it did was change the tone of the bike and get in the way of my rear break pedal. I didn't get any extra power out of it.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had one on my 06 Nightrain for around 4 years I got it because it looked better than the Harley offering and gave more air flow,wether it adds any more power I don't know, probably not, you'll find there's more opinions on this air filter than any other on the different forums, some people hate them think there total junk while others like me don't have a problem with them, I've said this before when this subjects come up although I like it, it wouldn't be my choice now but when I got it there wasn't a lot of options for Efi engined bikes.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hypercharger is not going to add any more power other than the fact that you have a free flowing K&N air filter. There is no "ram air" effect going on and in fact at higher speeds, the air flow will be more disruptive than a flat, closed air cleaner although this is the case for most "cool" air cleaners out there.

A lot of people love to hate them, but I have one on my girlfriend's sportster and it performs as well as anything else. If you are going to buy one, get a different crankcase breather system because the rubber boots that come with the hypercharger leak all the time. I finally gave in and got the chrome tube setup that I have on my Heritage like this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4000305. Also note that if you are going to use that breather, you need to buy an additional spacer to replace the one that comes with the hypercharger as part of the breather setup. With the above aftermarket breather, you'll need this part: http://www.jpcycles.com/Product/400-372. This is thicker than the spacer that comes with the Hypercharger but you need this to clear the bolts of the new breather.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95yj
Hypercharger is not going to add any more power other than the fact that you have a free flowing K&N air filter. There is no "ram air" effect going on and in fact at higher speeds, the air flow will be more disruptive than a flat, closed air cleaner although this is the case for most "cool" air cleaners out there.

A lot of people love to hate them, but I have one on my girlfriend's sportster and it performs as well as anything else. If you are going to buy one, get a different crankcase breather system because the rubber boots that come with the hypercharger leak all the time. I finally gave in and got the chrome tube setup that I have on my Heritage like this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4000305. Also note that if you are going to use that breather, you need to buy an additional spacer to replace the one that comes with the hypercharger as part of the breather setup. With the above aftermarket breather, you'll need this part: http://www.jpcycles.com/Product/400-372. This is thicker than the spacer that comes with the Hypercharger but you need this to clear the bolts of the new breather.
That breather kit is for a head breather motor. Unless the OP has changed heads, this kit is not needed. His will just have tube coming out of the crank case into the a/c.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
That breather kit is for a head breather motor. Unless the OP has changed heads, this kit is not needed. His will just have tube coming out of the crank case into the a/c.
Woops. Didn't notice the year.