EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Float Bowl Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Float Bowl Gasket

Don't know what it is with the gas down here but whatever is in it makes my float bowl gasket grow like crazy. (There is no alcohol in the gas like in the States.) Every time I pull the float bowl to clean the dirt out (that's one thing in the gas here is a lot of dirt), the gasket is bigger and after a few times is impossible to put back in. I don't stretch it when taking it apart, it just gets bigger. Never had that problem up north. This weekend, I had to ditch the gasket and use anaerobic Permatex because the gasket was so big. I know the Permatex won't last long in the gas although it does hold up better than RTV.

Regardless, does anyone know where to buy just the float bowl gasket? I'm tired of buying rebuild kits for $40 just to get a single gasket.

Also, I'm looking for a really small gas filter since there's hardly room for the fuel line to pass through to the carb let alone a filter on the Heritage. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's a stock carb, Harley sells just the gasket. Always been available at any parts supplier. The rubber ring seal is good for maybe a couple of removals and then must be replaced.

When the gasket compresses to seal the bowl to the carb it squishes / squeezes the rubber gasket flattening it slighly, and the compressing of the rubber will make it a tad bit larger when removed. The removal can also take a bit of a tug, pulling it off, and it'll stretch.

I would recommend you put an inline filter to trap debris BEFORE it enters the carb.

Worst Case Scenario:

Debris collecting in the float causes the float needle seat to become damaged and can hang up the valve, flooding your carb. In the worst case it'll flood directly into the manifold and then into the cylinders. This can get into the oil and dilute it. It could also collect and explode.

There is an overflow tube connected to the float to to stop this issue if it's minor, and the tube hasn't been plugged by debris. It's supposed to drain under the bike but can get plugged. That combination condition then allows the overflow into the manifold rather than draining under the bike.

But most importantly is for you to drain your tank almost empty. You want to take off the tank valve, which allows you to see the tank's filters condition. Then allow the last bit to drain into a glass jar to see the debris and the amount of concentration. Older bikes may have an issue with the tank's lining (paint) flaking away from the tank. Once you take off the valve and collect the sediment you will be able to identify how badly the tank is contaminated. You can also see how contaminated the filter on the petcock (valve) is looking.

I use a $2 inline clear filter between the petcock and the tank. Be certain it is a good size in order to not slow gas flow.