Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Evo Classic Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Classic Models All Evo Models
Sponsored by: J&M Motorcycle Audio

P

Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Senior Rider
Default Done with Crane Cams Hi-4...... What lasts?

Well I've gone through two Crane Hi-4 ignition modules on my sled. They go 25,000 miles then when they get hot they act up and quit. It's kinda like going into the hospital. The person that has the heart attack is now more of a cardiologist than they would like to be sooooo I know it's the module after some trouble shooting.

My question is what ignition set up to go with? I have heard a lot of good things about Daytona Twin Tec. Is Daytona the ticket?

"All men are born equal is in being born at least a little bit crazy, some being more equal than others." Norman MaClean
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Prospect

I've been wanting to try the IST from S@S it's an advanced bit of kit,a little pricy but it's got what I want.
Check it and see what you think.
Cheers.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8SMK4U View Post
Well I've gone through two Crane Hi-4 ignition modules on my sled. They go 25,000 miles then when they get hot they act up and quit. It's kinda like going into the hospital. The person that has the heart attack is now more of a cardiologist than they would like to be sooooo I know it's the module after some trouble shooting.

My question is what ignition set up to go with? I have heard a lot of good things about Daytona Twin Tec. Is Daytona the ticket?
Heat and electronics don't mix well together, I'm assuming that the system your using now is the style that mounts in the cone as opposed to under the seat or elsewhere? The reason I ask is I would hate to see you invest more money in a ignition system when mounting a style that keeps it away from excess heat could prevent another failure. JMHO

Last edited by FXD_One; 05-14-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
One Of The Regulars

If yours is in the nose cone then im afraid they are prone to failing after a while, I had two go on my 72 shovel, and know lots of people that had the same I now have the Hi-4E on my 95 RK and wont ever have a nose cone system again i dont think, due to the heat in there i cant see anything lasting long!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Road Warrior

I've had a Crane Hi-4 on my 95 for 70,000 miles. It is mounted under the side cover.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Road Master

The cranes have been known to fail, I run the stock system with a se module, seems most reliable but a few guys around me swear by the daytona twin tec system.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Rider

I will definitely look into mounting it in a different spot. I just assumed that with the EVO, that con was the only place to mount it. So how do you do that? Are the some ignition modules that are separate from the plate that mounts in by the cam?

"All men are born equal is in being born at least a little bit crazy, some being more equal than others." Norman MaClean

Last edited by I8SMK4U; 05-14-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm running with an Ultima 53-644 programmable and have been having good results. I'm not sure what kind of riding you do freeway or city with lots of stop go heating up but a good point was made using a under seat module rather than nose cone type.
89 Heritage
1997 SuperGlide
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Rider

Lots of mountain riding and lots of highway in california. I ride about 10 over on the freeway. Yesterday the oil bag temp was hanging just under 200 on the highway.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8SMK4U View Post
Lots of mountain riding and lots of highway in california. I ride about 10 over on the freeway. Yesterday the oil bag temp was hanging just under 200 on the highway.
You can imagine what a twin cam would be like. I think I would also be considering a good quality oil cooler.
89 Heritage
1997 SuperGlide
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM

P