EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Weak compensator spring question

Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Weak compensator spring question

Gentlemen,

Does anyone know how to evaluate the condition of the compensator spring/clutch (the round saucer thing just under the compensator nut)?

What happened on my decker a couple of years ago: the rotor fell apart! Metal just around the splines was ripped out the rest of the rotor body completely. I was told that it was probably due to the weakness of the spring (I found the nut itself being torqued properly), so the rotor was somehow moving/vibrating on the sprocket shaft which finally caused that breakage. This problem was solved by buying some aftermarket sealed magnets rotor with thicker body and washers around, so they would supposedly preload that spring well enough. So far it does not give me problems anymore, fingers crossed...

Now, as we know, I am happily installing a brand new Evo on my Heritage. But the bike has way more miles than the decker. Now I am paranoid that its spring is weak as well... Can I check it somehow? Have anyone heard of trimming the compensator nut a bit (so it would compress the spring more)? Maybe I should do just that?

Last edited by jokenroll; 05-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cannot answer your question BUT.

If you need one I actually have a new one from JP cycles. Long story why I have it . But anyway if you end up needing one I can hook you up. I also have a new cam piece. If you need it I will try to find a link to that part.