1997 Road King Fuel gauge Cap Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1997 Road King Fuel gauge Cap Help

All,
I am trying to figure out how to fix the fuel gauge cap, on my 97 Road King. I bought the bike about a month back, from the second owner. The gauge works, but the cap is in the vertical position, instead of horizontal (clear portion, which you can read the gas level through).
I was told by the second guy, whom I bought the bike from, that the original owner was an old school biker. He was use to the old fat bob tanks, which you filled on the left side, then went to the right side filler. By habit, he tried to unscrew the left side fuel gauge cap - thus my problem with a cap I can hardly read, because the clear viewing portion runs vertical, instead of horizontal.
I tried rotating the cap by hand (after removing gauge from bike), so the cap viewer is aligned horizontally with the fuel/empty reading, but no dice, the cap will not budge. I hate to check with Harley on the price of the gauge, it mostly likely will be expensive!!!!!!!!!!! Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM
styndryinwa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what you mean by seeing it sideways you can do it this way like I did no gauge go by miles instead

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Road King Fuel gauge Cap Help-dsc02012.jpg  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Try rotating the cap with the gauge in the tank....that's how it was when it got munted.

Damn things tell lies anyways...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Desmos
6th Gear

I think what op is getting at is the portion of the gauge that contains the clear lens has turned 90 degrees relative to the needle and gauge marks(fuel level delineations). I went out and looked at mine to see if it looked like you can turn it back. I think everything would have to be perfect in order to turn the thing. Maybe if it is warm enough, to sort of simulate the conditions that allowed it to slip in the first place. Just a thought.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Desmos
I think what op is getting at is the portion of the gauge that contains the clear lens has turned 90 degrees relative to the needle and gauge marks(fuel level delineations). I went out and looked at mine to see if it looked like you can turn it back. I think everything would have to be perfect in order to turn the thing. Maybe if it is warm enough, to sort of simulate the conditions that allowed it to slip in the first place. Just a thought.
Desmos, correct - that's exactly what I mean! Re-reading my posting, I wasn't too clear in my description. Anyway; if the gauge isn't too accurate to begin with, I think I will just fit a regular cap, or pop up cap - if that's possible? Anyway, thanks all for the input! I'll be darn if I can get the clear leans portion rotated by hand, to the right position.