EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Engine replacement choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts
Default Engine replacement choice

I own a couple of beefed up Twin Cams and just recently bought an '94 FXR. After making a few changes to it (shocks, handlebars, seat, etc.) and riding it for a few months, I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the performance of the stock EVO compared to the modified Twin Cam. I spent a fair amount of money building the Twin Cams and I think I would rather pull the original EVO and replace it with a pre-built performance engine from one of the aftermarket vendors.I've almost decided on replacing the engine rather build the engine that I have.I'm looking at an Ultima 120ci ElBruto engine. I figure for about 4500.00 I'll be ahead of the game by getting that motor rather than putting money into my current engine. I've got two questions (for now!) and all input is welcome. What else will I need to do to the bike if I put one of these in. I'm sure a stiffer clutch will be needed. I'm aware of the EVO's weak point in the transmission mounting system so, given that the Ultima uses different cases, would I need something like the Carlini torque arm or has that been addressed? My next question is about the reliability of the Ultima engine itself. I know early on there were problems with rocker arms and lifters but, what's the latest on how they hold up? Thanks again for everyone's input.

I should add that the Ultima comes complete with carb. and ignition so, I won't be figuring in those two items in the initial cost of the transplant.

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 07-07-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

monkeyboy, if you have a couple of other scoots that have the extra beef that you like, how about leaving you fxr motor closer to stock? That year (couple actually) was the best fxr in my opinion. The Evo is so damn cool and would give you a different type of ride than your others... Just put a K&n and some slip ons and you might grow to appreciate her.
As for reliability, you won't get anything as reliable as stock unless you're willing to go S&S.

Just food for thought,
good luck.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Give ya my take on the subject, S&S has had the market by the nuts and quality has been the trademark but dam $7400 for a big cube. I have S&S rotating parts in my engine, has been solid and not babied so I have good feelings about their products BUT the guy who helped with my engine is highly respected across the country and speaks highly of the Ultima engines.

Ultima has made changes to get growing pain problems out of their engine and a big cube is $3600 delivered with a warranty, Read forum reviews and you get the usual; Get what you pay for, Ultima is great, Ultima sucks, S&S is great, S&S sucks so I comes down to close contacts, I will follow the direction of engine builder John Sachs nod and purchase a Ultima, they just came out with a "131" that fits a stock frame so giddy up! On the S&S side it will have a better resale value because of it's name and roots but did I mention $7400 for an engine, if you have deep pockets and blow money is a hobby, get the 124 S&S

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by aaamax
... That year (couple actually) was the best fxr in my opinion. The Evo is so damn cool and would give you a different type of ride than your others...
You're right about the bike being cool and different, that's why I got it. I haven't been able to test it's legendary handling attributes yet because the parts I've been busy replacing is an attempt to get it back to stock. The replacement engine would be an Evo also, just a little bigger.

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
.... On the S&S side it will have a better resale value because of it's name and roots but did I mention $7400 for an engine,...

That is certainly one thing I have considered and that is one reason I want to use an aftermarket engine. I plan on keeping the bike for a long time but as we all know, situations change. The fact that the original engine (and everything else) just turned over 10k miles is really not an issue, it's the condition, or appearance, of the original engine. It has a natural, or silver, finish and has a variety of stains on it.Take the original out, put in another and bigger motor, disassemble the original and get it powder coated. If I have to sell the bike, put the original motor back in. As for resale value with an S&S, would it be that much different than an Ultima as long as the original engine was sold with the bike?

Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

That sounds like a good plan of cleaning up the origional engine and putting it back in if selling the bike, the big cube engines are still pulling a good price used and can sell the engine.

John Sachs leans towards the 113" as the perfect engine as a bolt in and has some hidden poney's with some headwork if needing "more" if the supplied horsepower gets boring. The 120" seems to be a good crank and bore ratio as we know the SE 120" has stormed the Twinkee market and defintly a runner.

I've attached John's email, it is best to talk to experiance and he is a straight shooter, taught me alot about a street functioning engines. Mia should come along shortly as he runs runs several Ultima engines and another good source for info. If you need to see some of John Sachs work, go to Nightrider dyno sections for Unlimited Evo's and Sportsters.

dynalee@bellsouth.net

Last edited by 1997bagger; 07-08-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:45 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

113" and the 120" are both good engines out of the box. That being said, John Sachs can give you a really good HP bump for the money he gets. Well worth the expense. WE are running a 120" in our shop '95 FLHTC without a torque arm. All you need to do is make sure everything is properly aligned and you shouldn't have any problems unless you go over a 200mm tire.
John

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of this discussion needs to revolve around your abilities and interest in building. In your shoes, I would jump at the chance to pull the old motor, put in Wiseco high compression pistons, an Andrews EV27 cam, aluminum adjustable push rods, swap out to a Sporster 1200 ignition microprossesor, rejet your carb, and you would be amazed at what that engine can do, and at the end of this build, you could retain stock valve train geometry, stock clutch, stock primary chain, etc.. Then, I would put in a S&S six speed, or even a Revtech, and you would have a bike that was very fast and fun to drive, in addition to still getting around 43 MPG.
Or...

Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

My son put a 113 S&S EVO in his built up bike, and it runs really strong right out of the box. He did have to beef up the clutch and the starter shortly after he started riding it. Well over 115 torque and horsepower.

Attached Thumbnails Engine replacement choice-harley-finished-pic.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

I have an S&S 107" in my Glide and like Jim had to beef up the clutch. I have also worn out my stock starter, so am about to fit a stronger one! As the cubic inches are increased, a greater number of components need attention. I looked at fitting a 131" and that would have justified a replacement custom trans gear cluster (Zippers). I already have floating rotors all round, plus 6-pot front and 4-pot rear calipers. Did I mention the 13" front rotors?!

So fitting a bigger motor has consequences! All you need is a deeper pocket than you first thought, but hey, you are already beyond the point of no return.....

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

GR, with a 131" the front end will be in the air and the front brakes will be extra weight

Quick Reply: Engine replacement choice