EVO All Evo Model Discussion

pulled cylinder studs on new harley cases after 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
brainless fxst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
It's the bullshit casting alloy Harley has been using since about 1987 and it's an inherent Evo problem . Don't think I've ever seen or heard of a pan or shovel pulling a cylinder stud even with big bore kits and outrageous compression , I've had them where I had to smack the wrench with a deadblow hammer a few times to break them loose guys had herked them down so tight .

You shouldn't be able to pull that thread so easy
Your right they are junk but still 3 of them thats extreme .

Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by brainless fxst
Your right they are junk but still 3 of them thats extreme .
I can see a real Jefro pulling one maybe 2 studs getting crazy with a 3 foot breaker bar but all ? No that's a materials issues , I've seen the older cases torqued over 85ftlbs and never once seen a base stud pull , even with the higher performance parts the torque is only 65ft lbs . Why are the evo only cases so weak ?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
tdo123
Stage III

Thanks for all the input. Yeah, well I am the lucky guy that gets to reap the bennies from the screw up whether it is the cases or the torque job. It is such a shame because I absolutely love the bike and it had been down for a while because I got a divorce and was low on money trying to get my life situated and I finally got the money together and had it rebuilt and was a happy camper cruising around on it again and then **** hit the fan.. My mechanic has been working on all engine makes that harley has created for years. Torquing down cylinder bolts should be trivial for him. Hell of a nice guy.. Offered to take it all apart again and put it back together, of course he is thoroughly convinced something is wrong with the cases. Told me all about the problems that Harley has been having throughout the years with bad cases but then reassured me that they have fixed the alloy problems and the quality of their cases. My local dealerships don't even work on evolutions and bikes that are 10 years old for whatever reason. So it wasn't even possible for them to do the work. I really think that there is a serious open circuit with Harley's warranty with the cases because they sell the part, warranty the part, they don't service the part and when it comes down to **** hitting the fan with the part they try to weasel out of warranting the part because they say they didn't do the work. Just doesn't make sense to me. And to tell you the truth, even if HD warranties the part and my mechanic does all the work I am going to be very nervous that the same situation could happen again after a short time. Its like having a relatively new tire blow out on your vehicle and they tell you that the rest of your tires are just fine.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
brainless fxst
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I can see a real Jefro pulling one maybe 2 studs getting crazy with a 3 foot breaker bar but all ? No that's a materials issues , I've seen the older cases torqued over 85ftlbs and never once seen a base stud pull , even with the higher performance parts the torque is only 65ft lbs . Why are the evo only cases so weak ?
I bet if you pulled apart 20 early evo engine i bet 6 of them would be cracked ether near the back motor mount , lip around the stater, or in between the cylinder boars right side. And nobody would have ever known till it came apart.I dont know why there so weak but take a bare stock evo block next to a S&S or ultima block and it is crazy how light duty the stockers are I cant believe they handle the abuse some put them through . I personalty have built a couple of semi decent HP evos and ran them hard when they came apart for routine crap like gaskets and what not they were cracked . Im in the middle of building a nice 80ci now and am using ultima cases . For $690 bucks and made in USA there the best.