EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1986 FLHTC EVO with Rocker Box Leak

Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 FLHTC EVO with Rocker Box Leak

My rear rocker box is leaking from the center just above the exhaust. The guy I bought the bike from had an upper done on it (so he says) and it would appear that there is a leak coming from the bottom of the rocker box in the back. I am nervous about trying to tighten down the cap screws on top too much. Can I over tighten them? Unemployed and do not have a lot of $$$ right now so if I can avoid removing the rocker box and putting on a new gasket I would like to. I have not tried to tight the screws yet and was wondering if I should attempt it or just remove and bite the bullet? Thoughts?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to the forum! you can gently remove the box's & save the gaskets. Clean all surfaces up & add a thin line of blue silicone gasket sealer to both mating surfaces. That's the goop that smells like vinegar. Replace & tighten snug but no more!
You will need an allan key that is chopped down a little so it will fit between the frame & the bolt head.
Just take your time & you will by fine.
Hatch.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

How bad is the leak?
If it is just seeping I would say ignore it till you can afford to fix it.
Yes you can over tighten the cap nuts.
Your rocker box comes in 3 parts and if it is leaking from the bottom part (the part touching the head) tightening the cap nuts will do nothing to stop the leak.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Yeah it is not that bad. Thanks for the heads up on the blue goop. I have some. It is the 3rd part that touches the head. Is this going to be involving the valve train? I have my repair manual that I can look it up in too. I have nothing but time right now so I can remove it and do the blue goop fix but I do not want to bite off more than I can chew. Again it is not a bad leak I just do not want to have it stain the head and jug. I wipe it every time I ride it but there is nothing worse than trying to get the stains out of the natural aluminum!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

If you're going to do the job, do it right. Buy some new gaskets. The Genuine HD ones are good. People also like "cometic" gasgets.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ what 'Dr.Hess' said

but, if you're going to reuse the old ones- considering they're HD gaskets... and in some cases, you can, buy a can of copper spray and hit both sides

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM
IronWright
Road Captain

somewhat of a big job......u gonna pull tanks and rockers.....gittin involved....if u never wrenched before....leave it till u git some $$$$......pain in the a$$....u may git lukky and it be leaking between spacer and lower...if its lower to head.....have fun....either way, u will be pullin tanks.....