EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1986 flhtc with S&S Super... Very stiff throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 flhtc with S&S Super... Very stiff throttle

S&S Super and it is very tight. Lubed my push pull cables and made no difference. Is there some sort of adjustment to make it looser? My 95 Softail with the original carb was very loose and I liked it much better. Should I switch back to a stock carb? Not sure I am sold on this S&S

Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my S&S is stiffer than the CVs on other bikes I've had. But not overly stiff.
Couple things to check - make sure the screw thing on the throttle grip is not tight, as that will add resistance.
Also make sure your return spring cable is set to specs, or you will be pulling against it.
I hope some REAL wrenches can clarify my 'faux-expert' explanation. And give you some real answers...
Great carb, by the way.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 352 Posts

Yea, I thought the throttle lock screw was loose enough on my bike, but the throttle felt "sticky."

Loosened the screw a few turns and that solved it.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Yeah the throttle lock is not the issue. That is free. Took the cables off ( disconnected them ) and it was very free. It is something to do with the carb for sure. I am going to take the carb apart today and see if i can figure it out. It is definitely OVERLY stiff!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lube the carb shaft, check the accelerator pump adjustment. It might be bottoming out.
John

Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Maybe longer cables or in a bind ?

Originally Posted by Shootemdownace
Took the cables off ( disconnected them ) and it was very free.
If I'm understanding you, you took cables off & now the throttle shaft & assembly, are free? If you can take the throttle shaft assembly, with the cables off, open it all the way up, & it snap's closed, freely, you probably have the cables in a bind, ( way you have cables routed under tanks) or need more length. Had the same problem with my Lowrider. I like Barnett, stainless steel, over the black vinyl, probably stiffer, & why I wound up with (+4) in length over stock. Also makes a difference if you come out of your throttle grip at a 90 Deg. or a 45 Deg. angle. I needed a nice sweeping bend from throttle to under tanks in order to keep from binding. Trial & error. Good luck.
Harold

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I once had a Honda 750 that had the same problem.
What happened was a bunch of gunk had built up between the throttle grip and the handle bar.
Pulled off throttle grip and cleaned the handle bar reinstalled grip and it worked fine.

Not saying this is your problem but it is something to look at.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Took it all apart today and the throttle assembly on the handlebars is completely free. I think the cables are in a bind one and second even if I force back after reving it stays idled up for a few second almost like its getting too much fuel for a few seconds. Like it needs adjusted or something. Carb adjustment might be beyond me or maybe it isn't. I have rebuilt several old car engines but new to the air cooled Harley's but I need to learn so any advice?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Stiff Throttle

Did you get bike in this way, or have you changed carb? S & S makes a great carb. Have em on both my bikes. Easy to install & for the most part, easy to tune. Both mine have been new, & have rebuilt the one on my Gen. Shovel. ( sit up a couple of years & gummed up ). My fault. Nasty divorce, & long story. Looked up cables for your application, 1986 FLHTC, & should be about 43", stock length, If that's what you need. You also have to make sure you have the correct cable guide for your carb, if you didn't buy the carb new. Throttle cables are nothing to fool around with. If not set up correctly, you may find yourself with a stuck throttle & someones trunk decoration! Use to have 51 Pan, with a Linkart carb, & it didn't have a return spring. Made for interesting riding. Just make sure that , cable bind is your problem. Getting it set up is not that hard. I've read a lot of informative post's in this forum, & if I can't help, someone else can. I just haven't been riding EVO's, that long. Later,
Harold

Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Shootemdownace
Advanced

Yep. Bought the bike this way. It returns fine just twice as stiff as my Softail. Nothing I cant live with just a lot different. Biggest pain is not throttling down when I am off the gas. Again my Softail would snap right down when off the gas and this one doesn't. It's not because it doesn't return it's like it gets too much gas when you rev it up a little. I don't know if that makes sense but that's the best I can explain it.

Quick Reply: 1986 flhtc with S&S Super... Very stiff throttle