EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 road king (efi), sputtering, running on 1 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelhead FXEF
does the bike have the black plastic ECM in it? Has a small removable cover that has the mini USB port under it?
ECM is silver/bare metal in a black/rubber grommetted mount. didnt see a mini USB port on it...but I'll check it tomorrow. who knows, maybe it's worth a few bucks and I can offset the costs of my carb conversion.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 PM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper86
ECM is silver/bare metal in a black/rubber grommetted mount. didnt see a mini USB port on it...but I'll check it tomorrow. who knows, maybe it's worth a few bucks and I can offset the costs of my carb conversion.
Thats the MM ECM. Your stage 2 kit probably was for the 97 and newer MM bikes. That kit didn't have ECM because 97 and newer were map changeable. Most of your symptoms were similar to mine. In goes the Harley S&S ECM, and EFI is awesome now. Carb change over with that ECM might be no better.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shovelhead FXEF
Thats the MM ECM. Your stage 2 kit probably was for the 97 and newer MM bikes. That kit didn't have ECM because 97 and newer were map changeable. Most of your symptoms were similar to mine. In goes the Harley S&S ECM, and EFI is awesome now. Carb change over with that ECM might be no better.
yea, its a 98...last of the evo's

guess its a good thing that ECM got stripped out then, eh? new ignition (dyna 2000p) is standalone, no ECM.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Engine Hesitating,Then Picking-up Again

Hey 1997bagger

Recentley had an S&S Super "E" insatlled in my '85flhtc.
Along with new autolite spark plug ~ I was told they burn better and handle high alltitudes better.
Had the gas tank re-coated,cleaned-out gas filter aslo.

And still for the second time had to come home a half hour into my ride with the guys due to: HESITATION,SPEEDING-UP and not being able to go over 60mph on the highway coming home: then picking-up agaiin to regular speed.

What the heck is CAUSING THIS
It seems that when the bike heats-up after a half hour it starts up again
That do you think the trouble is ?

THANKS GUYS

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Coil is breaking down or pickup. Read your own posts and answered your problem, runs like crap hot and let it set cools off runs good for a short period (temperature is affecting the problem) heavy exhaust gas smell when acting up which is incomplete combustion not loss of fuel injection, acts up in upper gears which is more load on the ignition system to ignite the cylinder.

Take the cover off the pickup and release some heat during a roadtest and see what happens but I'll bet the pickup is melted when you pull the cover

If not the pickup and acting up at idle when returning, pull a plug wire off with proper pliers when idleing and see if a yellow or no spark is on one of the cylinders

Making this too difficult because it is EFI

Private email an address and I'll send you a coil for testing unless you are considering a carb conversion which is the best thing I did for perfomance, runability and I really wanted to keep the EFI control system but wasn't and option in my engine direction.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

anyone had any luck recently finding an ignition interconnect harness? (HD pn 32435-97)

found a company out of holland thats making a "replacement", but havent been able to get them on the phone as of yet (nor do I have any idea how long it'd take to ship it here). are there any other options, other that just buying the Deutche connectors and fabbing my own? (i dont own the crimpers, so it'd add yet another expense to this build)

http://www.prostreetholland.com/4a/4a6.html (the company in holland)

Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

And still for the second time had to come home a half hour into my ride with the guys due to: HESITATION,SPEEDING-UP and not being able to go over 60mph on the highway coming home: then picking-up agaiin to regular speed.

What the heck is CAUSING THIS
It seems that when the bike heats-up after a half hour it starts up again
That do you think the trouble is ?

Tendancies of electronic controls is to start failing under heat and come back into operating range when cooling off, coils can drop a cylinder or have low spark and not have enough spark to fire a load or accellerate and shutoff is the last part, pickup module will just shut off. I was dropping a cylinder and had yellow spark on a cylinder and blue on the other, yellow is weak.

A friend had alot of troubles with his Shovel losing power and shutting off after a half hour of riding, went riding with him and started doing it, bike lost accelleration and finally shutoff, during restart white smoke was present which was gas and a few backfires, clearly obvious and told him it was a igniton problem. He replaced the coil and heard that he is making long distance trips with no problems, is this the problem everytime NO but tendancies is a part of diagnostics. Pull a wire when the problem acts up and should be able to tell if enough spark, good spark can jump 2 or more inches but yellow is a sure sign of coil breakdown

Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jasper86
bike already had the whole screaming eagle stage 2 kit (i think...def had a SE stage 2 map on the ECM, and the red injectors). not sure on the cam (has no discernible markings when I had the cam chest open)....will double check when I get a chance to pop off one of the pushrod covers and see if it's got adjustables.

i've already made the decision to go to carb (the HSR42 will be here monday or tuesday if all goes according to plan). the only obstacle now is the harness, which seems (according to the FSM anyways) *very* simple. 7 wires, oughta be able to make that out of the existing EFI harness.
Stage 2 with red injectors usually has a Screamin Eagle SE-3 which is the same numbers as a EV-27, the SE-3 will have more of a "squared" off lobe than the stockers.

That 97 carb harness is obsolete except at Harley graveyards, the updated Twinkee carb harness can have a few wires changed to make it work and common in the conversion

Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Stage 2 with red injectors usually has a Screamin Eagle SE-3 which is the same numbers as a EV-27, the SE-3 will have more of a "squared" off lobe than the stockers.

That 97 carb harness is obsolete except at Harley graveyards, the updated Twinkee carb harness can have a few wires changed to make it work and common in the conversion

thats what I suspected. it goes like hell when its running right

you wouldnt happen to know a part number for the twinkie harness, would ya? (i dont have a book handy)

Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

32435-99