EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I need a head gasket and more.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need a head gasket and more.

Ok, I need some advice on my 98 S & S carbed FLHTC with 60,000 miles. Just noticed a bit of oil on the fin of the rear cylinder but the bike is running fine, I also have a bit of oil from the base gasket, no surprise there.

So this is what I need done this winter

Head gaskets
Base gaskets
lifters
and cam bearings.

Since I'm in there I will add an Andrews EV13 and adjustable pushrods

I have never done this myself but was thinkin I'm up for it, along with the help of this forum.

However I also have two great Indy shops that I trust and here is what one of them wants to do.

,James Top-end gasket kit w/ Multi Layer
Steel head gaskets- $90
"Oil Fix" base gasket kit- $44
Moly piston ring set- $45
S&S hydraulic lifter set-$240
S&S Quickee adjustable pushrods- $150
Andrews EV13 cam- $140
Inner Cam Bearing update kit- $30

*Will also need engine oil and filter, plus $5 shop supplies charge, does not include tax on all parts.*

Top-End and Cam Labor- $400
Cylinder head reconditioning with 3 angle valve seat cut- $300

This shops wants to recondition the heads, replace the rings, since we are in there, because the old ones can get brittle, and also repair the valves. Something I can't do myself.

Money is tight right now so that's another reason I was thinking of doing it myself but I really want this bike to last a long, long time and don't want to short myself. Maybe I should let these guys recondition the top end of my bike and just get it over with.

What do you think?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

One if you have a dealership near by go and check prices on parts.
Two since you are taking apart the heads you don't need the adjustable push-rods.
If their cam bearing upgrade kit is a Torrington bearing (it should be) you can get one a lot cheaper than $30.

Do a compression check if it is good don't do rings.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Can also save some coin and put Harley "B" lifters in the engine and will have no problems. You can easily hit the point of no return when starting something like this. Secret to the Evo is bumping the compression and a EV13 with a .030" head gasket will help gain some compression.

My opinion is basic head cleanup along with surfacing the head area, hone the cylinders and bump the compression up along with the cam. Doing the work yourself, saving coin in other areas and some patience will keep you from thinking "why didn't I do that when I had it apart" more opinions to come

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

I'll call the dealership today and get some pricing. If I pull the top end, which I have to do, I want to do it right so saving some coin by buying and using OEM parts will help pay for honing, rings, valves, and higher compression. Thanks for the input from all of you.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Looks as if you are being offered a top class service there. The main saving you can make is doing the build yourself and pocketing the 400 bucks, although some of that will probably get spent. If you don't have one a factory service manual is a must have! There are further small savings, as already suggested. On the other hand I suspect you could ride in and ride back out in around a week or so, if your indy does everything.

Be wary when checking for cheaper prices. Your indy is offering a one-stop shop, while saving a little here and there will take time, also some of the saving will disappear in shipping costs. If you buy the parts from him to do your own build, he will hopefully ensure you have every last iddy-biddy bit!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Use a James base gasket to quell the leaks for good... http://www.jpcycles.com/product/431-133

Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B lifters ?

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Can also save some coin and put Harley "B" lifters in the engine and will have no problems. You can easily hit the point of no return when starting something like this. Secret to the Evo is bumping the compression and a EV13 with a .030" head gasket will help gain some compression.

My opinion is basic head cleanup along with surfacing the head area, hone the cylinders and bump the compression up along with the cam. Doing the work yourself, saving coin in other areas and some patience will keep you from thinking "why didn't I do that when I had it apart" more opinions to come
What are B lifters ? Do you mean the mid priced ones as opposed to the expensive ones.?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
Money is tight right now so that's another reason I was thinking of doing it myself but I really want this bike to last a long, long time and don't want to short myself. Maybe I should let these guys recondition the top end of my bike and just get it over with.

What do you think?
What kind of hand tools do you have?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
What kind of hand tools do you have?
I have kinda come to the conclusion that I'm going to let the Indy shop do this project. This is getting abit above my pay grade. Besides they work on these bike day in and day out and they will be able to spot something that may need fixing that I would surely miss. A man has just got to know his limitations.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by machinehed
What are B lifters ? Do you mean the mid priced ones as opposed to the expensive ones.?
It is the OEM lifter that Harley stocks for the Evo. Part # is 18523-86B for my FLHTC. Both dealerships had them in stock for $54.99

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need a head gasket and more.