EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Weber Dual Throat Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I had a SE twin-choke Holley for a while, on my 89" Evo. Way too much carb and I suspect you'll find a Weber too big too. I gave up and went to a more sensible carb instead.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,775 Likes on 2,113 Posts

B0000011.jpg?t=1291298252

Webers are great carbs from mild to wild. Plenty of tuning tips these days on you tube. I ran this 45 side draft for years on this ironhead. stock with just cams and pipes it ripped. After headwork it really shined. Not a carb to tune for a beginner but can be done easily with a little time on the net. Lots of foriegn car hot rod shops around the country will likely turn up a good tuner also. If you pay a grand to tune one of these things you been had.Dr. Hess I never ran a fuel pump just a good high flow petcock and larger fuel line. They didn't have that type manifold when I had this bike back in the 70's.Only drawback was the leg room it took up.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
barhopperjon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, info! Thanks for sharing! I'm also waiting to hear back on a dual throat Dellorto set up.....

Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Webers like 3 PSI, so I'm surprised you got away with no fuel pump, but if it worked for you... I ran 2 40DCOE's on my Europa in the 80's.

I say a grand to tune it somewhat sarcastically. It would have to be done at a shop that really knew what they were doing with that carb, on a Harley, and with ALL the pieces that can be swapped out. Then it shouldn't be that bad. But, not having those pieces in place will make it much more expensive to tune. Like, what size chokes to use? Guess wrong and if you have to buy more, there goes the budget.

DellOrto parts are getting kinda rough to source right now over here. There's some places, but not many. I have a pair of 40DHLA's on the shelf.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM
barhopperjon
Cruiser

Both the Weber and Dellorto appear to have headed into the sunset. As a last resort there's always a Wood's Performance set up. But it just doesn't have that single dual throat look.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
reservoir dog
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone mention " they look cool" . Being overcarbed is bad on anything but I have found over the years on cars or bikes you cant make power without dumping some large amounts of gas . Im sure it would hurt you in the low RPMs but would run like hell once you got her wound up.

Attached Thumbnails Weber Dual Throat Opinions-ct25.jpg  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,775 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I was lucky Dr. I worked for a guy that raced VW's and he ran 48 downdrafts on all his motors.He was a wealth of knowledge to me,some of which I rely on today. He could set them things up on any motor and make H.P.Lots of tuning guides make them seem hard but once you understand how they worked they weren't bad to tune. Bobby also ran pumps on the race car but cars need much more intake volume than an HD. Fuel tanks are also below carb level. I'm trying to find some old pics of his work to post up for you.I think you would appreciate them.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:03 PM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

I'm Into VW's also. Aircooled motors are just my thing I guess. a Weber DCOE (the carb pictured) is a pretty good carb. you'll have trouble finding things like Venturi's and miscellaneous other parts but they are a awesome carb.
I would say go no larger and a 40 DCOE, and size the venturi's down to the smallest you can get(prolly about 32MM). you lose a little top end but we all know Harleys arn't about screaming up to 7000 RPM. the low end is where you want it. start off with fatter (stock) jets and work your way down (idles and primarys) until your happy with both your throttle response and the smell comming out the pipe... trust me you wont have to put your nose to it to smell it lol.
contact REDLINE weber , they might have some pretty good baselines to start with on your motor. personally , i am happy with a CV on a Harley but thats just me... Harleys R for cruising and the occasional rip to 60 MPH fast. for stupid fast thats what crotch rocket is for

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM
barhopperjon
Cruiser

CafeSporty, that's some great info! Thanks!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

You can get DLHA's that are set up for BOOST. Put one of those on and a turbo and then you can have both high HP and super-cool.

Quick Reply: Weber Dual Throat Opinions