EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My build: 98 FLHRCI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My build: 98 FLHRCI -- update! she lives again!

Well this will likely be a bit long winded. I got my first harley 3 months ago, a 98 FLHRCI (MM efi) that was non-running (knew it had oil pressure issues).

Long story short, I never got the MM efi running quite right (did fix the oil pressure problems though), and made the decision to do a carb conversion. Started small, Dyna2000P ignition module, Mikuni HSR42 carb, a borrowed intake. Installed everything, wired up the new ignition module (I have a hand drawn schematic of the harness I made, if anyone wants it **seeing as the carb harness is obsolete from HD, and hard to find**), and fired her up. All was well with the world again.

Put ~ 1500 miles on the bike over the next few weeks, but always felt that the bike felt a bit anemic (i was spoiled from the get go)...and seeing as it was getting cold, I decided it was time to build my *dream* bike (note: actual dream bike would have been a 100+" S&S, but that was WAY out of the budget...plus I have a thing for taking small engines and making them into monsters... (I had an 05 WRX with a 2.0L engine, putting down almost 450hp @ the wheels *AWD too*)

I'll write up a mod list (to date), and try to put up pictures (when I remember to take them lol).

Harley mod list
98 RKC, converted to carb
Mikuni HSR42 carb, 165main / stock slow jet
D&M Custom Cycle Ultimate Flow Air Cleaner
jugs bored over 0.005" (matches to pistons)
wiseco 10:1 dome top forged pistons
James top end gasket kit
.030" head gaskets
headwork by Bean @ BigBoyzCycles in Augusta, ME. Port/valve job, heads CC'd and matched, manual compression releases
new valve springs (HD Screamin' Eagle, set up for a .585" lift)
Jims lifters
Woods W6 cam
Dyna 2000p ignition module with single fire coil (relocated to motor mount, running FXR wires)
Supertrapp SuperMeg 2:1 exhaust
S.E. Race Brace
barnett extra-plate clutch
barnett heavy-duty clutch spring
S&S reed breather
Dakota Digital MCL2002 gauge (wanted a tach)
Dakota Digital oil pressure and oil temperature senders
WildOne's "Chubby" bagger bars (14")
Memphis Shades batwing fairing
TruckZone Phase7 LED headlight upgrade

(i'll add more, because I'm sure I forgot a bunch up until this point)

The heads should be back in my posession by monday or tuesday, and then i'll start reassembly. Bikes probably going to be trailered up to HighOctane Harley in Billerica, MA (John is gonna do my tuning). I'm hoping for high 80's/low 90's for horsepower, and low to mid 90's for torque (which is definitely achievable)...I've done my best to this point to make this a *bad *** bagger*

a few pictures

the bike, as I got it (sitting in a shed for 5 years)

all cleaned up

heads off to Maine for port work, partial disassembly

the bike as it sits now (although now with bagger bars...found out the regular chubby apes would NOT clear the MS fairing without being rocked back so far that they were uncomfortable)...i'll snap a new pic tomorrow of the new bars...the new brake and clutch lines came in today, so I'll likely be fitting them too

Last edited by Jasper86; 01-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 PM
dub976
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you fit the batwing with the apes? Any mods needed? I really want them but can't see how they would fit behind the batwing without being almost straight back.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dub976
Have you fit the batwing with the apes? Any mods needed? I really want them but can't see how they would fit behind the batwing without being almost straight back.
Regular chubby apes wont clear the MS fairing unless they're rocked back pretty far (even farther, considering I really wanted to keep my windshield bag)

I ended up swapping them for WO 14" bagger bars. 4" wider at the base than regular chubby's, but they really dont look bad (i actually kinda dig it). I'll take a picture in the morning.

I suppose I COULD have kept the regular apes, and rocked em back and forth, depending on whether the fairing was on or off...but they really werent comfortable leaned back to clear the windshield/fairing.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

updated pic with bagger bars mocked up. actually heading out now to work on getting the controls laced in, brakes bled (maybe), and start wiring up the new DakotaDigital gauge

Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

When're you gonna invite me over so i can see your progress? I just got back from a friggen cold *** ride up and down old Rte 1. Cold as the proverbial witch's tit.
Bro, I would not be able to do what you did in more ways than one but to have that monster begging to be on the street and looking at 4 months on the operating table with sand and salt on te streets would kill me!
Are you gonna soft bag it like the factory? Are you gonna bad dad it? Inquiring minds gotta know. :-)

Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

i do like the look (and *slightly* more security) of hard bags, but unless someone offers me a straight trade for a set, i'll be keeping the soft bags (hell why not...I have 2 complete sets of soft bags)

cant ride right now anyways. Just had LASIK done, no riding for (minimum) 2 weeks. Im hoping to get the heads back monday (Bean was waiting on the compression releases as of thursday afternoon...they're otherwise complete)

come by dude. there aint much excitement right now (gotta figure out another way to block her up on the lift without the front tie downs so I can do the mono tubes)...honestly probably head down the gun club a little later with a couple of cigars and my soldering iron and make my new harness for the dakota digital. lemme know if you wanna join. doing a little shooting is never a bad way to end a day

Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

new dakota digital mcl2002 is 95% wired up. Gotta get some smaller gauge wire tomorrow to extend the new oil temp / oil pressure wires, and run the wire from my Dyna2000 up to pick up the tach signal. I think I'll wire the constant 12v and ground straight to the posts in the battery box when I install everything (one less connection point = one less possible problem)

I'm pretty excited to have more than just a speedometer now

Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain

Heads are back from BigBoyzCycles. They look great (then again, this is my first set of ported HD heads, so my knowledge here is limited). either way, im excited to see how they do

new compression releases

polished combustion chamber

intake port

exhaust port

Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Smile Sweet

I'm jealous!
Ride safe,
Harold

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
HarleyReece
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm waiting for my heads and jugs to get back from Larry mcbrides shop. Doin .020 over on jugs and 9.5-1 pistons to match the EV27 cam I placed in early summer. Can't wait to get it back together. Waiting is a biatch!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My build: 98 FLHRCI