EVO All Evo Model Discussion

sprocket shaft oil seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprocket shaft oil seal leak

i have a 1988 fxstc i change the sprocket shaft oil seal 3 time's and it still leak's, the seal is not spinning and it's not leaking from behind the seal or coming out from the lip of the seal. it leak's from the rubber center of the seal, could the bearing's be so bad that's why it leaks,, and the damm thing runs good. what would be the fix, can't you change the bearing with the engine on bike or if not a used motor from $1200-$1900 or rebulid it a-lot more-$$$,,i all started when i installed a belt-drive,,no tellin how many H-D bikes out there with a leaking sprocket shaft seal in to there primary and don't know it,,,,thank''s

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If you mean the seal behind the spocket then it can be changed with the motor in the bike. Make sure there are no grooves or nicks in the area the seal lips run on and also make sure you change the quadrant seal when you do the main seal or you are wasting your time....also that the spacer is the right way around or it won't meet the quadrant seal correctly.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

thanks for your reply, i ment if the bearing's bad can i change it on the bike, like i said before The sprocket shaft seal keep's leaking, i put 3 in the bike i did not know about the other quadrant seal, and i also made sure that the spacer was smooth. how hard is it to change that quadrant seal, also should the spacer spin with the shaft or should the shaft spin in the spacer, when i was changing the 2nd seal i seen that the spacer would turn with the shaft, the shaft was kinda nicked up so i used about 6 foot of em-cloth and 4 hour's to make it right, and again thank's for aii your reply's

Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem ended up being the spacer. The shop put in a new spacer and ran a bead of loctite on the inside.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

hey thanks for the reply, was that your 1st seal you put in, this is my 3rd one. my spacer was kinda nick up but i may need a new one . all of the seal's i installed i use lok-tite and there is no leak around the outher lip the leak is from the rubber around the shaft that why i now think it may be the bearings and the shaft may have so much slop that the seal can't take it,,,,keith and thank's again for all your reply's,,,,,,,,,,

Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

The bearing can be changed in the bike....you clearly haven't changed the quadrant seal and that is most likely your problem......check the manual or ask an Indy.....

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

i can't find a quadrent seal on the exploded view of the sprocket shaft.... ????

Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to make sure we are speaking the same language, you mean the tranny end, not the engine end?????
John

Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
unnnivers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my dixie wreck
i can't find a quadrent seal on the exploded view of the sprocket shaft.... ????
Here it is - thin quad seal

Attached Thumbnails sprocket shaft oil seal leak-images.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I think he's talking engine crank seal and spacer.

Quick Reply: sprocket shaft oil seal leak