EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 FLHTC need tech help - coil

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
OldSchooler101
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FLHTC need tech help - coil

Okay, after owning HDs for more than 20 years now I'm supposed to know at least a little about my bikes but I'm stumped on this one.

92 electra glide classic. On start-up, starter intermittently continued to run despite turning key off. Located problem with cable and problem fixed. I had also switched out the starter and engine run switch assembly.

Went to fire it up and wouldn't start. Sounded like no fire, so I checked at the plugs and sure enough, no spark. I have a pink wire on one side of the coil and two white wires on the other. WIth the key off, both sides are cold when test light is on the ground post and both indicate ground when I switch the test light to my positive post. With the key in on position and engine switch off, the coil is cold both sides. When I turn the engine run switch on, I get 12v at the white wires and a very faint glow on the pink wire (don't know voltage because my ohm meter is dead). I had the thought that I possibly did something wrong when I switched out the start button and engine run button assembly, so if anything above sounds wrong, let me know.

I'm having a hard time believing that my coil is bad because it ran fine before I took everything down to fix it but with power to the coil I get no fire at the plug wire ends. I've gone back through everything I've done and don't see anything out of place.

Any ideas?

thanks

Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If that pink wire is grounded you will have no spark. Disconnect it from the coil and see if that gives you spark....its the tacho feed from the coil.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
tc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Had similar problem on my '86 FLSTC, starter would stay running when ign. off, but also while engine was running. Turned out it was a faulty starter relay........

Worth a look?????????????

Cheers.

TC