EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam Bearing Replacement: Must do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Bearing Replacement: Must do?

Been lurking here and just joined. I have a 1995 FLHR with 52 k miles. I see no signs that the engine has ever been broken into, although I was told the tappets were changed out at 40k by the seller (who did not own the bike at that time).

You all have me worried that if I don't replace my cam bearing with a Torrington I could blow my engine. True or false and based on what?

Note: I would think to change the tappets you would either need to pull the rockers or replace the pushrods with adjustables. Bike runs fine and I hate to mess with it until I'm ready to upgrade the cam and heads.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Despite being a member of HDF a long time I am cynical about things like that bearing. The majority of Evo owners are NOT members and are probably blissfully riding their bikes with no problems.

IMHO if you are going to go behind that cone cover for any reason, make it worthwhile and change the cam as well as that bearing. You will not only sleep better, but wake your bike up, if that makes sense! Or just ride on......

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitey1
Been lurking here and just joined. I have a 1995 FLHR with 52 k miles. I see no signs that the engine has ever been broken into, although I was told the tappets were changed out at 40k by the seller (who did not own the bike at that time).

You all have me worried that if I don't replace my cam bearing with a Torrington I could blow my engine. True or false and based on what?

Note: I would think to change the tappets you would either need to pull the rockers or replace the pushrods with adjustables. Bike runs fine and I hate to mess with it until I'm ready to upgrade the cam and heads.
The PO of my bike ran it for 99k miles before having the motor re-maned by Harley.
He said he did it for no other reason than it had 99k miles on the clock.
He never changed the cam or the bearing or the lifters for that matter.

He was very religious about keeping the fluids changed.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

The stock cam bearings I would not install in a tonka toy... Bicycles have better bearings. Go with new cam & torrington bearings, new lifters, adj pushrods. That is a good place to start any build.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Where in Indiana are you?

Hey Whitey, where in Indiana do you live? I'm in Pendleton.

Make sure to check out the Evo Party sticky at the top of the page!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser

Hey thanks for the replies. I really don't want to break into the cone until I'm ready to do at least the cam, lifters, and pushrods. Hopefully the heads too, so I guess I'll run the INA bearing until then and hope it holds together.

Traildog, I live on the southside of Indy near Southport. Can't commit to the group ride, but I don't see why we shouldn't meet up when the weather breaks. Feel free to PM me if you have a ride going.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
knottyboy
2nd Gear

Dang Hoosiers lol im in Madison Hanover,In Area HELLO Hoosiers