EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR build questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Stevos50nuts
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FXR build questions

Traded my snowmobiles for a 86 fxr with salvage title. I got it stripped down to motor and frame. Just ordered new fork tubes and internal rebuild kit last night. Also picked up a tank off ebay. Cant believe what some of this **** sells for. I did manage to sell some take off stuff and raised $350 for the cause.

I want to powder coat my lower fork legs. One of them has some deep scratches.....what should i fill them with?

I will post some pics

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

I use ALLmetal. Its a lot like bondo and can be powder coated. Not as easy to work but gets the job done. Buy a small can.

Attached Thumbnails FXR build questions-allmetal.jpg  

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 03-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Stevos50nuts
I want to powder coat my lower fork legs. One of them has some deep scratches.....what should i fill them with?

I will post some pics

Thanks
We have an HDF sponsor who powder coats and posts some stunning stuff here. Contact him to see if he can answer your question. I suspect he will be able to do all you could hope for!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master

Should be able to find lower legs at any salvage yard I would think, and perhaps not in need of filler.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
machinehed
Road Master

Welcome Stevo .
Im wondering how those deep gouges got there in the first place .?
You say the bike is titled as salvage so i would first check out the front end and frame for possible bent stuff !!! I seriously advise you to do this before you worry about the cosmetics.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't know anything about fixing a deep scratch but since you're rebuilding a FXR, I happened to pick up the March edition of Cycle Source at Barnes and Noble today. The whole issue is dedicated to the FXR. I have absolutely no use for it. If you can PM me with your address, I'll mail it to you. If they don't let you send pm's yet, leave your email or something and I'll get it to you.

I should have looked through it to realize it was the FXR issue before I bought it. Maybe you can get some ideas out of it.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
wfojon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have to use a metal filler for the powder coat to stick and it has to take the 400 deg powder coating takes. Find some better legs or sand the scratch out.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

like you i am knee deep in an FXR rebuild. I had a dent in my head light bucket and my powder coater told me to use JB weld to fill it and smooth it out. I would fix the legs you have but thats me. The problem with FXR parts is there is one main guy selling them and he has cornered the market. Elvis parts has anything you need but it comes at a premium. I think 86 is the 39mm front end which was used many years so you might find a set of lowers off a dyna or something. good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Many...... Most parts on an FXR are common to other Harleys. Front end will be a narrow glide, Showa forks. Can't get much more generic than that. If you're doing a restoration, there may be some things Elvis has that you need. Mid controls, original tins and fairings, stuff like that. In that event, call him and you can get a deep discount. I haven't had to use him yet.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

If Elvis has what you need just call him or if its on ebay send him an offer, he will work with you.

Quick Reply: FXR build questions