EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'96 Springer - My New Project Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Last night I removed the tanks and petcock. Tanks were full of crud before washing them out and the fuel filter screen was nasty. Also pulled the intake manifold to replace the seals while I have easy access. Plan is to get her going so I can run through the gears and check for mechanical / electrical issues before starting any modifications.

Discovered the lifter screen plug will not budge. Someone has tried unsuccessfully to remove previously. I’ve attempted correcting the top slot with a small file, but my drag link socket slips right out. Appears I might have to drill the plug out. No idea when it was last checked. Might hold off on doing so for now and revisit when I take the bike apart next time for additional work.

Puffy Seat ... not my style. Fortunately the seller still had the original / stock 2 up.

Buckhorn Handlebars ... was never a fan, but they feel very comfortable, and that look is starting to grow on me. If I retain the bars I will drill them out for internal wiring. The bike looks very sloppy now with so many cables and wires hanging up there.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-springer-2x.jpg   '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-springer-2-x.jpg  

Last edited by run1fsr; 03-13-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM
dwatkins
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice bike to toy with for sure! For my screen plug I took an old chisel that I had in a junk drawer and filed the edge off it and worked it down until it fit very snug in the slot. Works like a champ.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Today I got her running and through the gears!!

After two tries last week I gave up working with the original carburetor. Installed a known good one off a 2005 Sportster. It is now jetted with a 45 slow and 175 main. Replaced all fluids in the primary, transmission and engine. Cleaned / gapped the plugs and replaced all fuel and vacuum lines.

After installing new intake seals, I found aligning the manifold with the back plate that came on the bike difficult. So I ordered an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on EBay. That made setting up the carb and intake easy.

The V&H double barrel exhaust that I received from a friend is now mounted up. Also installed an easy-pull clutch while the exhaust was removed and I had access to the transmission cover.

This afternoon she roared to life on the forth crank. Rode around the neighborhood … man this thing is loud. May require some baffles to tone it down a bit.

Last night I bought a set of 2” lowering shocks, and hope to find time in the next few weeks to get them installed. That gap between the rear tire and fender is driving me nuts.

Dwatkins … thanks for the lifter screen plug tip, I will give that a try.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1springer-march-2013-023.jpg   '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1springer-march-2013-021.jpg   '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1springer-march-2013-015.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:41 AM
mosendero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a sweet project bike!

We just bought a 97 Heritage for the wife, and I am enjoying tinkering with it!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this look for a newer springer.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-96fxstscustomp7.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

I removed the mirrors and turn signals tonight, and she looks so much better with the front cleaned-up. All that external wire is a pet peeve, and I’m actually starting to dig the buckhorns. Just minor temp / cosmetic changes before eventually pulling her apart … trying to find a look I like.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1springer-1-052.jpg   '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1springer-1-069.jpg  

Last edited by run1fsr; 03-18-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

A busy schedule this past month has kept me from working on the springer. Hoping to get back into it soon.

Still no luck removing the tappet screen. Drilling the plug out appears to be my last option. How concerned should I be about being unable to remove and clean?

FYI - I’ve no idea when the tappet screen was last inspected.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Put a cold chisel on the edge of the slot and tap it in the loosening direction to break it free. Get a dremil with cutting wheel and make a new slot for the drag link socket and use a hand impact tool to start it. Drilling in that area would be my last resort...

Ds

Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
JKay
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking bike and looking forward to see where you go. I have a 97 FXSTC recently purchased too and looking forward to tinkering with her when I get back

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Success!!

Thanks, Doug … using a small punch to break free the tappet screen plug worked!! That made my day.

Hoping I can find time soon to drop the rear of this bike. Recently won a set of lowering shocks on EBay, and then ordered 2” shock extensions from a speed shop. I may need to go with 1” extensions if the 2” are too long, but my plan is to put her in the weeds. Pic below show the new shocks with and without the extension installed.

Attached Thumbnails '96 Springer - My New Project Bike-1evo-shocks-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: '96 Springer - My New Project Bike