EVO All Evo Model Discussion

carb leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

My cables from my Ironhead needed modification when I went to CV........ran it with one cable in the end.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Is this what you need for the inlet?

http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_elbow.htm
Yep thanks, going to goto cv though.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
My cables from my Ironhead needed modification when I went to CV........ran it with one cable in the end.
My flhtp is running with a single as well.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by doctorgoo
The cable for a butterfly has about 2" less exposed cable at the end. If you don't want to buy new cables, you can just trim back some of the housing with a dremel tool. Otherwise you'll need new cables.
Good idea.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a follow up , I found time to change the float needle and reset the float level and no more leaking. The new cv carb should be here next week.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished doing this today and as mentioned the cables will have to be trimmed the cv has a throw of 5" and the butterfly is only 3 and change. I used a hack saw to trim back the armor there is a inner sheath and as long as you don't cut through this you should be ok, a dremel would work well form this as you could cut it easier er down the length of the armor the saw was a pita and I had to use pliers to uncoil the remaining armor ( requiered a clue extra beers and a buch of swearing). I have ordered new cables mine are the originals and after 28yrs I figured it's time, just for price of mind
Be very careful installing the manifold and follow the torque spec and sequence this is we're most projects go wrong.
As you are aware the carb mounting bracket will not work and you will need a new air cleaner, got the bracket (bottom breather bike) from Drag specialties and a filter and backing plate from my bro.
If your carb still has the plastic POS fuel inlet change it they are the one bad point of he cv, if you order one at HD it will be brass take a pair of vice grips and twist and pull the brass piece that is left in the carb after you break the plastic off, the new inlet is just hammered into the hole well worth the 15 bucks.
I had no problem with my buterfly until I switched to the CV what a difference love my new bike
Cheers

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the tips Kushman , the carb is from killer carbs so no issues with plastic inlet. I have the plastic backing plate and air cleaner chrome cover and filter. Good tip with the dremel. Just waiting for delivery.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention have you looked at the bracket that fits onto of the cv to hold the enricher there are several out there and they are easy to make if you want with a piece of all. Flat stock. The cable that you order from HD is usually a little longer but not much and don't know why.
A little grease on the manifold to carb rubber will also aid in being sure it is seated.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kushman
Forgot to mention have you looked at the bracket that fits onto of the cv to hold the enricher there are several out there and they are easy to make if you want with a piece of all. Flat stock. The cable that you order from HD is usually a little longer but not much and don't know why.
A little grease on the manifold to carb rubber will also aid in being sure it is seated.
Thanks for the grease tip. I have the bracket for the enrichener mount as well. With the chrome cover for the carb mount I simply applied heat to the inside and the old cover plate that was glued on came off like nothing, I will just have to do the same with the wifes and reglue to the new one.