EVO All Evo Model Discussion

carb leaking

Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default carb leaking

I reset the float level on the stock carb (non CV ) on the 89 Heritage as it was leaking out the overflow every once in a while last year. It was set to about .74 inch and I set it down to about .66inch and it seems to be worse now then last year. I figured I'd try the float setting rather than change the needle as thats just me and my troubleshooting.
So is .66inch on the high side compared to .63inch? Manual says set between .63-.67inch. Seems I made it worse going lower in the number.
Also book shows the carb held on a slight angle and measure from bottom of float( if the carb is held upright it would be the bottom) to the base and is the float suppose to just lightly rest with needle closing off flow ? So slant the carb just enough so float needle closes softly? Perhaps I should just change the needle?
Hope this makes sence.
Also noted there was a crack on the plastic fuel inlet, I understand this is a known issue, but what is the fix?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 435 Likes on 251 Posts

You hold the carby on the slant, lower the number the higher the fuel level in the bowl.

I am not sure but maybe the brass CV fuel fitting conversion works with the butterfly?

Why not just biff the butterfly and stuff a CV on there, hell, I'll even send you a free manifold and gasket if you get the carby :-)

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You hold the carby on the slant, lower the number the higher the fuel level in the bowl.

I am not sure but maybe the brass CV fuel fitting conversion works with the butterfly?

Why not just biff the butterfly and stuff a CV on there, hell, I'll even send you a free manifold and gasket if you get the carby :-)
Thanks Spanners, funney you say that about the cv, I just ordered a cv manifold off ebay. I do have a cv carb from my bike sitting on the shelf and I think if I remember correctly it just needs the enrichener piece that goes in the side of the carb, I had replaced it with a Dales Killer Carb. Would the enricher cable just go through the dash on her Heritage but possible longer one needed than the one I use which goes right out the side below the petcock?
This carb just seems to operate so well other than the cracked inlet which isn't leaking yet, and the overflow problem. I guess I just enjoy fiddling.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 05-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You can't get a longer enrichener cable as far as I know, Dales does one that sits on the carby top or you can get one made up to fit wherever you need it to go.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You think the butterfly is working well but wait until you get a CV on it....

Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

What is the setup on a newer EVO Heritage like the 1990 up?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Dunno mate, they went to CV around then. Can't remember the exact year as it nearly bed time down here.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Do the plastic inlets tend to break internally or are the cracks on top just external to these carbs? I'm concerned that we can be out on the road and it all of a sudden snaps, then she would be freaking out.I may have to duck into the Softtail forum and see if I can dig up some info on what there using for enrichener cables. Wish me Luck.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Do the plastic inlets tend to break internally or are the cracks on top just external to these carbs? I'm concerned that we can be out on the road and it all of a sudden snaps, then she would be freaking out.I may have to duck into the Softtail forum and see if I can dig up some info on what there using for enrichener cables. Wish me Luck.
Back when I had a CV carb I had it rebuilt by a local shop and they just replaced that plastic elbow with a brass one. If I recall correctly they just unscrewed the plastic one and screwed in the brass one.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Thanks Spanners, funney you say that about the cv, I just ordered a cv manifold off ebay. I do have a cv carb from my bike sitting on the shelf and I think if I remember correctly it just needs the enrichener piece that goes in the side of the carb, I had replaced it with a Dales Killer Carb. Would the enricher cable just go through the dash on her Heritage but possible longer one needed than the one I use which goes right out the side below the petcock?
This carb just seems to operate so well other than the cracked inlet which isn't leaking yet, and the overflow problem. I guess I just enjoy fiddling.
When mine was stock the choke cable went to the bracket next to the petcock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: carb leaking