EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1985 FXEF No Oil Pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM
WillyFast
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 FXEF No Oil Pressure???

Looking for some ideas or advice on how to proceed.

My 85 FXEF came (used) without an oil pressure gauge (or oil filter for that matter). Where the stock?? gauge fitting went on the motor, the hard line was crimped shut. I recently bought a liquid filled oil pressure gauge and installed it where the stock fitting was located, also in the location according to the service manual. Cranked up the Harley, no movement in the gauge. I know I am getting oil to the crankcase because the fitting for the new gauge leaks and a recent timing adjustment gave me a face full of oil.

I took the gauge to a friend of mine - and he put it on his Triumph, the gauge moved immediately - in fact went beyond the 60 PSI limit. I'm thinking perhaps there is a clog in the oil system - but I should get even a small reading - 10-20 PSI even with a partial clog????
I get zero.

Any thoughts? Thanks!! Pete

Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

If your oil light isn't coming on then don't worry about it.
Harleys have oil flow but not much pressure.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Specs in the manual say oil pressure should be between 12 and 35 pounds at 2,000 rpm when warmed up. Not much at idle but plenty of circulation as you note when you check the timing.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
WillyFast
Novice

Unfortunately - no oil light on the bike.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Since that is the case I would first change all the oil lines.

You can take loose the return line to make sure you have oil returning to the tank.

If it isn't I would recommend rebuilding the oil pump.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley oil pres.?

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If your oil light isn't coming on then don't worry about it.
Harleys have oil flow but not much pressure.
Have seen other posts with this same issue and as texashillcountry says , Harleys pump oil by volume at much lower pressure than you would expect.
I myself assume that this a quirk due to Harleys very onorthadox oiling system.?
I am also trying to install a mechanical oil pres. gauge and after discovering the above i am thinking about trying a gauge that maxes out at approx. 40lbs.etc.
This being said ., i would not use a glycerine filled gauge as they are damped for
pres. spikes etc. I am considering trying a run of the mill mechanical 0-50 lb.
water gauge as i cant see how it wouldnt work ok.???

Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,082 Posts

The stock oil filter is located under the frame just in front of the rear tire/wheel. Make sure you get the correct filter otherwise there won't be any oil flow through it.

Are you sure you are connected to the oil pressure port on the back side of the engine and not the crankcase breather port??

There isn't much oil pressure in the EVO to start with, mostly oil circulation, this is done with the so called oil pump which it isn't (should be called oil scavenging unit) and the timing of the internal breather with a combination of the motion of the pistons. If the lifters aren't noisy then there is probably sufficient oil pressure/flow.

The number one cause of the total lack of oil pressure is some sort of crap blocking the check ball or the spring that holds it shut is weak or broken. A simple check of this is to let the bike sit for a couple days and see if the oil disappears out of the oil tank but returns when you start the engine. (located in oil pump)

Best bet is to repair the oil light situation and forget the pressure gauge unless you can find one marked in the single digits, and then you will be worried all the time if you ever travel in stop and go traffic on a warm day, because it will read "0" most of the time. Only "Dennis Kirk" has the correct "idiot lite" for the '85 FXEF.

Also you can get a thermometer for the oil tank and see if the oil is getting hot as the engine runs, another indicator that oil is being circulated, also remove the oil tank stopper and look for bubbles in the oil as the engine is running another positive sign.

I can't think of any "Hard Lines" on the engine, maybe the crankcase breather line, don't leave this plugged, must be open to allow internal crankcase pressure to vent otherwise will blow out the crankshaft seals and you will "make oil" in the primary.

People forget that both pistons move up/down together in the HD engine, so if you have 80cu in. of air movement into the combustion chambers you also have 80cu in. of air movement through the crankcase.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is nothing unorthodox about Harleys oiling system! The engine is almost entirely ball or roller bearings and doesn't need much pressure. My favourite indy calls oil gauges 'worry gauges', because they cause more worry than they are worth. He would ban them on Harleys!

However in this case it does seem Pete may have a problem and should follow through until he is confident his oiling system is functioning fine. Then chuck the gauge in the bin and fit an oil light!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
WillyFast
Novice

excellent information from everybody thank you very much I'll report back and let you know what I find Pete

Old 05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
aliass
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kabear
The stock oil filter is located under the frame just in front of the rear tire/wheel. Make sure you get the correct filter otherwise there won't be any oil flow through it.

Are you sure you are connected to the oil pressure port on the back side of the engine and not the crankcase breather port??

There isn't much oil pressure in the EVO to start with, mostly oil circulation, this is done with the so called oil pump which it isn't (should be called oil scavenging unit) and the timing of the internal breather with a combination of the motion of the pistons. If the lifters aren't noisy then there is probably sufficient oil pressure/flow.

The number one cause of the total lack of oil pressure is some sort of crap blocking the check ball or the spring that holds it shut is weak or broken. A simple check of this is to let the bike sit for a couple days and see if the oil disappears out of the oil tank but returns when you start the engine. (located in oil pump)

Best bet is to repair the oil light situation and forget the pressure gauge unless you can find one marked in the single digits, and then you will be worried all the time if you ever travel in stop and go traffic on a warm day, because it will read "0" most of the time. Only "Dennis Kirk" has the correct "idiot lite" for the '85 FXEF.

Also you can get a thermometer for the oil tank and see if the oil is getting hot as the engine runs, another indicator that oil is being circulated, also remove the oil tank stopper and look for bubbles in the oil as the engine is running another positive sign.

I can't think of any "Hard Lines" on the engine, maybe the crankcase breather line, don't leave this plugged, must be open to allow internal crankcase pressure to vent otherwise will blow out the crankshaft seals and you will "make oil" in the primary.

People forget that both pistons move up/down together in the HD engine, so if you have 80cu in. of air movement into the combustion chambers you also have 80cu in. of air movement through the crankcase.
oh no i think i might have blow my crank seals on my 85 fxef . i recently fitted a brand new cv carb and like a fool i put the crank vent pipe on to a spigot on the new backing plate . i had only rode maybe 8 miles when the filler cap /dip stick shot out and hit my inner thigh . i figured what it was pulled the clutch and hit the kill switch right away .after that i fitted a breather filter thingie on the vent pipe i noticed the oil pipes going to the oil pump are a little wet . i washed them with degreaser i havent rode the bike since so i dont know if they are still leaking . my bike has the 4 speed gear box and bottom end and chain final drive like the shovel head . the gear box looses oil i had been over filling it a little and it was leaking into the primary drive .i noticed that inspection cover on the primary is a little wet too . thanks for any help on this .

Quick Reply: 1985 FXEF No Oil Pressure???