EVO All Evo Model Discussion

84 Heritage ignition switch wiring question ( pic )

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM
JimInMich
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Heritage ignition switch wiring question ( pic )

Looking at the photo below, you'll see an arrow pointing at a loose wire. This is how my bud bought the bike ( the wire was taped up ). Turn switch one click clockwise, you can start the bike. Your supposed to be able to turn the switch clockwise one more click, to turn on the headlamp. It will turn on the headlamp, but will kill the motor. I'm told the loose wire is supposed to be on the terminal directly below the terminal the wire is connected to ( 2nd arrow ), this allows the motor to keep running. When I connect the wire to that terminal, the headlight is on even if you only have the switch in the start position ( no way to have the headlamp off when starting ). With the wire connected on that other terminal, the bike starts with the switch in the start position ( with the lamp on ), and says running when you turn the switch to lamp position.

I know this isnt a real big deal to have the headlamp on all the time ( turns off if the bike is switch off ), but I would like to get the wiring right, if possible.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by JimInMich
Looking at the photo below, you'll see an arrow pointing at a loose wire. This is how my bud bought the bike ( the wire was taped up ). Turn switch one click clockwise, you can start the bike. Your supposed to be able to turn the switch clockwise one more click, to turn on the headlamp. It will turn on the headlamp, but will kill the motor. I'm told the loose wire is supposed to be on the terminal directly below the terminal the wire is connected to ( 2nd arrow ), this allows the motor to keep running. When I connect the wire to that terminal, the headlight is on even if you only have the switch in the start position ( no way to have the headlamp off when starting ). With the wire connected on that other terminal, the bike starts with the switch in the start position ( with the lamp on ), and says running when you turn the switch to lamp position.

I know this isnt a real big deal to have the headlamp on all the time ( turns off if the bike is switch off ), but I would like to get the wiring right, if possible.

You are supposed to have the headlight on if the bike is running.

On the back page of your manual just before the index you should have a wiring diagram.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
JimInMich
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You are supposed to have the headlight on if the bike is running.

On the back page of your manual just before the index you should have a wiring diagram.
I know the headmp is supposed to be on ( by law ), we just want the bike wired properly.

He just got the bike, he doesnt have a manual yet.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The loose yellow wire is just so that if it is connected the headlight will be on when starting the bike in the first position. The light s should come on when you goto the next position. My flhtp has the jumper wire cut so that I start the bike with the headlights off. I experimented with this on my wifes 89 heritage a couple years back and came up with the drawing pic. If you connect the loose wire to the screw with the other arrow it will be connected properly and headlight will come on when the ignition is turned on.

Attached Thumbnails 84 Heritage ignition switch wiring question ( pic )-img_0454.jpg  

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 05-20-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by JimInMich
I know the headmp is supposed to be on ( by law ), we just want the bike wired properly.

He just got the bike, he doesnt have a manual yet.
There is a site somewhere that will have that diagram.
I just went looking for it but I can't find the site again.

Maybe someone else will chime in that has the diagram for your bike.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM
JimInMich
Advanced

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
The loose yellow wire is just so that if it is connected the headlight will be on when starting the bike in the first position. The light s should come on when you goto the next position. My flhtp has the jumper wire cut so that I start the bike with the headlights off. I experimented with this on my wifes 89 heritage a couple years back and came up with the drawing pic. If you connect the loose wire to the screw with the other arrow it will be connected properly and headlight will come on when the ignition is turned on.
Ok, thanx. I guess my next question is why would the bike shut itself off when switched to the headlamp position, with that extra lead not connected?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

You would have to go over the electrical to figure out why the bike shuts off when ignition switched to lights position and I'm assuming your saying it shuts off when you try to connect the wire back on the #5 position in my drawing?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
JimInMich
Advanced

No.

As it sits ( without the wire connected to #5 ), once you turn the switch to turn on the headlamp, the bike will shut down.

Once the wire is connected to the #5, the bike runs in both positions, but so does the headlamp.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

never mind

Last edited by texashillcountry; 05-21-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Easyist sollution to this problem would be to reconnect the wire seeing as the bike runs fine that way.

Quick Reply: 84 Heritage ignition switch wiring question ( pic )