EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Trying Something Different

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts
Default Trying Something Different

Posted this earlier and lost the thread on installing a stereo on the White Bike using lower fairings for speaker holders.

Amp is installed where the M&M ECM once lived, wiring is ran with quick connect sealed Duetsh connectors but here is where I learned a lesson. NOT all Harley lower fairings are the same: Vented, non-vented and Roadglide non vented. I liked the looks of the non-vented because they don't wrap around the outer portion of the crash bar and just happened to purchase a set of non-vented Road Glides that have a different internal mounting system and a speaker pod install is unavailable for them. Vented lowers for FLH have several manufactures that make speaker pods, non-vented FLH have one speaker pod manufacturer and backordered waiting for the next shipment from across the big pond.

Scenerio is: Purchase vented lowers and go easy access bolt on speaker pods although I don't like the size, purchase non-vented FLH and hope the Chinese get enough plastic to make more speaker pods, Road glide lowers offer a glove box that is contoured completely different than the normal boxes you see on a FLH. I have the ability and resources to alter ABS plastic but will never be able to achieve the clean look of FLH aftermarket speaker pods because the Road Glides are chopped up an can't receive a 6.5 speaker externally. One possibility is mount a 6.5 speaker inside the Road Glide glove box and remove magnetic door panel for use, my little brain is turnin and always seem to take the path of most resistance so lets see what happens or I give in to the path of least resistance and buy FLH vented lowers.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 07-20-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: 3rd grade education
Old 07-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Only because I know you can see this complete and picture perfect I will root for you. Haha

It may be easier to buy some good ear buds but then who the f*ck ever said easier was fun?!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Even though I don't listen to music while on the road, still interests me how to set this up. Keep us posted & with pics, maybe?
Ride Safe,
Harold

Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
Only because I know you can see this complete and picture perfect I will root for you. Haha

It may be easier to buy some good ear buds but then who the f*ck ever said easier was fun?!
Opened up my phone box to get directions on how to play music, there is a set of earphones in the box but that would be too easy or I'm too effin stupid to give in - starting to realize it is the stupid part but dust, dirt, sweat and a tongue sticking out the side of mouth while working will probaly be the future

Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you considered popping speakers in your saddle bag lids?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

somewhere I think I saw crash bar mounted all weather speakers.
Seemed like an easy fix, unless you're set on the lowers.

Whatever you get, try to add a bluetooth unit to hook up to a smartphone.
There are some great song stations you can hook up to, and you can have all your music on the phone out of the weather.

Of course, I'm a dinosaur, so that may be 19th century advice...

Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by schwangster
somewhere I think I saw crash bar mounted all weather speakers.
Seemed like an easy fix, unless you're set on the lowers.

Whatever you get, try to add a bluetooth unit to hook up to a smartphone.
There are some great song stations you can hook up to, and you can have all your music on the phone out of the weather.

Of course, I'm a dinosaur, so that may be 19th century advice...
That would be Jasper86 with the crash bar speakers and they are louder than my factory speakers. Bagger, i'll see if he can add a pic for u.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Have seen the saddle bag lid speakers and proud of them in price, I have another channel in the amp and might use them later but I'm thinking front speakers are needed going down the road

Schwangster, going to have to get my kids to show me how to use the Iphone on the bike so Bluetooth would make me look like a new born calf staring at a barn door

Tee&Vee, I don't have to change the cam to match the speakers do I

Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, 97, get them to show you how to load your muic.
I got an iPhone last Feb, because I had to for work. Used to use an iPod and cord. And the new truck I got has a bluetooth stereo.
So when I get in the truck and turn on the radio it automatically can start playing the music from the phone. No wires, no nothing.
I don't know what you would need to have that on a bike, but if/when I change things up that would sure be one thing to look for.
For now the wife and I have the Scala Cardo system, and that also hooks up to bluetooth.
Amazing stuff.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

NYUCK nyuck nyuck

no, any ole cam will work with these

I got em powdercoated flat black though. didnt wanna see em

my opinion: speakers are fantastic. the amp leaves a lot to be desired. been having some issues with it cutting out @ low RPM/low speed. fine @ idle, fine @ speed. only thing I *cant* troubleshoot is the amp itself...but what can you expect for a "300w" amp that retails for $50

Just gotta find a replacement, something like 40-50w true RMS that'll fit under the side cover beside my ignition module

Last edited by Jasper86; 07-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Trying Something Different