HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM
citytrucker26
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild

Hi,
I am working on this 84 FXR trying to get the forks out to rebuild them and grease the steering stem. I was wondering if it would hurt anything putting some heat to it. They have never been apart. I have beat on them with a 2 by 4 and 3 lb sledge. No luck. I was thinking maybe a little heat to the fork clamps might get it to slide out.. Am I missing something? I took out the screws that lock on the top tree, and loosened the clamp bolts and screws that lock the forks in the bottom tree... Thanks in advance.. Trucker Gary

Attached Thumbnails HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild-0801131826a_293791.jpg   HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild-0801131827a_290390.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is probably some corrosion at the bottom clamp (Steel).
I have had luck taking a proper sized chisel, and lightly tapping
it into the clamping area where the lower bolts are located. Not on the tubes!
Take the bolts out 1st,HA HA. Looks like that chrome cover is in the way so take off head lite lower mount bolt and set it or hang it safely.
If that doesn't get it try a screw driver in the same way and use PB blaster to
soak it over nite. Screw driver won't fall out like the chisel will.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Take the bottom pinch bolts all the way out first.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Take the bottom pinch bolts all the way out first.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Alright.. I kind of figured it was the bottom clamp giving me a headache... Will do with taking out the bolts. Kind of common sense isn't it? They have only been in there 29 years. So I am sure its corrosion holding them back. Have already soaked the heck out of them with PB blaster. top n bottom. Thank you fellas! I appreciate it! Trucker Gary

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM
inkslinger73
Advanced

had same issue on my 86,I had to take a 5lb deadblow hammer and knock the top tree off.remove the headlight and hit upward between forks.give it a try.I spent a couple hours before trying it,and it worked second whack.If not try to find a product called "Kroil" that stuff will penetrate your worse nightmare.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Kroil is awsome stuff.. Hard to find. Used to use it at the high school on printing equipment.
I did loosen the neck bolt just in case to loosen tension on the forks. I am going to work on it tomorrow. Too much was going on yesterday before work to get at it. Just got home. I am going to take the whole front end apart and lube everything, rebuild the forks, getting another tire put on should be ready today. Flushing brake fluid.... Basically doing a full service. All 3 holes were changed with HD fluid. Bought the bike from a friend. He just changed the fluids before selling it to me. So thats good to go. He put in a new stator, rotor, regulator and compensator last year on it. He rebuilt the trans a while back. Its the smoothest shifting harley I have ever ridden. He said he is running 1/2 synthetic 1/2 formula + in the primary. Gear oil in the trans.
Thanks again for the reply... Gary

Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I recently removed my Glide's for legs after a very long time. I soaked the bottom tree with an anti-rust/release fluid overnight, then having removed the pinch bolts gently drive a large screw-driver into the cut, to ease pressure on the tube, partly unscrewed the cap and struck it with a rubber mallet. To rebuild use the screw-driver again, when you should be able to gently twist the leg back up into place.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Well, I managed to get the bottom clamp to slide down and get the front end off... No luck on the top clamp. Soaked it with pb blaster some more. Thats not really the issue. Issue is on the right fork the damper is turning inside the fork with the bolt. Took out the spring, tried using a piece of 3/8 rod to hold it. no luck. Can't drill it because all it will do is spin. Another problem I am having (I can get it it just means having to buy more drill bits) is the bolt that holds the split for the brake line on the bottom tree is rounded.. allen head button bolt. What a pos.
Any suggestions as to get the bolt out of the damper (at the bottom of the fork) so they can come apart? Fluid was really nasty coming out. steering stem bearings pretty much out of grease. Should have been done about 10000 miles ago. Races are not gouged, just show a little wear. Bearings look pretty good. No galling, no missing pieces. Grease was still wet, just not much of it. If it were a wheel bearing I would replace it. But I am going to be tearing it down in the winter to paint so I am just looking to get it together to enjoy the rest of this season.... Any help is appreciated! Gary

Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM
citytrucker26
Road Master

Alrighty... Well I got it together.. Only thing is when I let pressure off the handle bars it veers left. Possibly bent the top clamp by beating it into submission. Got it apart after a while, but it was not easy! Its not a hard pull, just leans left when there is no pressure on the bars. I have also been up for about 20 hours. I am going to ride it again later. I did tighten the steering stem some more. This time made sure it was on the ground, lower clamps loosened so it can adjust. No change. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Lubed the neck bearings, rebuilt the forks, running 7 oz to dry forks (book said 6.5 wet) bled the front brakes. It handles like it should and brakes a lot better. Thanks, Gary

Attached Thumbnails HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild-0804130924a_236144.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP!! 84 fxr forks n triple tree rebuild