EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts
Default Roller rockers

I have the urge to include a good set of roller rockers with my upcoming cam upgrades even though the cam I am going with is very mild. The reason is because less friction means smoother running engine, more power, and better throttle response. I also found a couple of really good deals on both screamin eagle and crane cams roller rockers.

When I search through the forum, I read lots of stories about how the roller rockers are very noisy. Is this true? If so, why? Is it due to poor installation or is it normal for roller rockers to be loud? Are some brands louder than others?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

The difference in friction isn't something you will notice when riding. They can be noisy because they have moving parts and these can wear.
Roller rockers are really an overhead cam thing where the rockers run directly on the cam lobes. The Harley equivalent to this is the roller lifters. The rockers on a Harley mainly press down and although there is scuffing it isn't anything compared to when a cam follower is just a pad and runs on the lobe.

Last edited by Spanners39; 09-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I have the urge to include a good set of roller rockers with my upcoming cam upgrades even though the cam I am going with is very mild. The reason is because less friction means smoother running engine, more power, and better throttle response. I also found a couple of really good deals on both screamin eagle and crane cams roller rockers.

When I search through the forum, I read lots of stories about how the roller rockers are very noisy. Is this true? If so, why? Is it due to poor installation or is it normal for roller rockers to be loud? Are some brands louder than others?
Roller rockers are noisier than "normal" rockers. The advantage they offer is on high lift cams, when the geometry isn't spot on the roller rocker doesn't push the valve stem to the side as it begins to push the valve open so it helps with improved valve guide life and less parasitic loss (friction) from side loading the valve stem.

I have roller rockers and forged rocker plates in my SE 120R and the clatter in the top end is such that I don't run the windshield on the bike due to the noise getting bothersome....

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
tomfiii
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't worry about the rocker noise as any cam you put in will be noisier then a stock cam.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts
Default No Noise

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
I have roller rockers and forged rocker plates in my SE 120R and the clatter in the top end is such that I don't run the windshield on the bike due to the noise getting bothersome....
Interesting.

I put a set of S&S rollers on mine, earlier this year, went to a .569 lift cam & got a good deal on 2 sets on E-bay. ( 2 for the price of one) Sold the one set for what I paid for 2. No more noise than the stock ones. Sounds like a finely tuned sewing machine. But I rode for years on a Shovelhead with solid lifter's, & that my friends, was noise. But with a bolt in cam, I would spend my money on other things.imo
Ride safe,
Harold

Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

My roller rockers are pretty quiet, no problems so far.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got to question the "noisy" rockers opinions.. My Dyna has a tick, has had one for quite a while, just as loud as it was before I put the rollers in... I find it difficult to describe a scenario that a properly adjusted push rod with hydraulic lifters would make noise, simply because the rockers roll rather than slide on the valve. They should really never be unloaded, that would cause premature bearing wear in the roller.... In my opinion, valve train noise is caused by something other than roller rockers.. I also believe a roller will extend valve guide life.. But, you know what they say about opinions...

By the way, I wouldn't throw that kind of money at them just because.. If you'll have the rocker boxes off for some other reason, maybe..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
I've got to question the "noisy" rockers opinions.. My Dyna has a tick, has had one for quite a while, just as loud as it was before I put the rollers in... I find it difficult to describe a scenario that a properly adjusted push rod with hydraulic lifters would make noise, simply because the rockers roll rather than slide on the valve. They should really never be unloaded, that would cause premature bearing wear in the roller.... In my opinion, valve train noise is caused by something other than roller rockers.. I also believe a roller will extend valve guide life.. But, you know what they say about opinions...

By the way, I wouldn't throw that kind of money at them just because.. If you'll have the rocker boxes off for some other reason, maybe..
The heads are coming off to be shaved slightly.

I agree with what spanner posted it though. It was just a thought, as I want to make the most of it while the top end is apart.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Stops side load on the valve guides with big lift cams and parasitic drag as mentioned earlier. 580 lift and up is kinda a rule of thumb I could come up with for needing rollers and probaly a reason why someone might say rollers are noisy is because a big lobed cam is under them.
Evo's can be clatter prone because of lifters not staying with square lobed cams that create power, this is why I believe that more oil pressure is needed to help lifters take the hammering, Evos don't need much oil as discussed on here but a EV27 can get noisy with stock oil pump and a Woods sounds like a diesel, can't see why mechanically rollers are a cause of clatter.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 09-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LowriderHarold
Interesting.

I put a set of S&S rollers on mine, earlier this year, went to a .569 lift cam & got a good deal on 2 sets on E-bay. ( 2 for the price of one) Sold the one set for what I paid for 2. No more noise than the stock ones. Sounds like a finely tuned sewing machine. But I rode for years on a Shovelhead with solid lifter's, & that my friends, was noise. But with a bolt in cam, I would spend my money on other things.imo
Ride safe,
Harold
The 120R comes with a .658 lift cam in it so the roller rockers are a good option. As to "loud", when it comes to valve train noise the level of noise is relative to the individual. The valve train on this bike isn't quite by any stretch but after years of being around hot rods, high performance cams generally are not sewing machine quiet.

No regrets about spending the money for the roller rockers or forged rocker supports, just didn't want the OP to be disappointed when the valve train ended up being as loud as or louder than stock.

Quick Reply: Roller rockers