EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How to fix front brake light switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix front brake light switch?

Does anyone know how to fix the switch on a 1989 Electraglide Ultra Classic. It just stopped working and wondering if I can just take it apart and fix it myself without buying a new switch or rewiring stuff.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Can't be that expensive to buy a new one. And I wouldn't think that there is anything in the switch to be fixable.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:26 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced mine on my 88 Tour Glide not long ago. Got the switch off eBay for $10, and it wasn't a big job, just open the switch housing, no need to pull the brake lever.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep if you have to replace the switch stay away from the dealer. They want $65 for a switch that can be had for 10-15 bucks on ebay.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the symptoms? Sometimes it's the lever and not the switch. The actuator or "paddle" on my 96 bent (and then broke) and the light was either slow to go out or stayed on.

NM, just re-read and saw the symptom.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (03-06-2016)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HarDlife
What are the symptoms? Sometimes it's the lever and not the switch. The actuator or "paddle" on my 96 bent (and then broke) and the light was either slow to go out or stayed on.

I have seen two different symptoms. The first being that the brake light just does not come on and I have seen a brake light flicker with no pressure to the handle. I would definitely look at the handle as a problem before cutting and soldering on a new switch. Start with cheap and easy first.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

You could open the switch housing and put a meter on it and see if it's making contact.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Default Bad switch ?

Originally Posted by HarDlife

Test to be sure the problem is actually the switch itself.

If it is , try cleaning out the switch first as they do get dirty enough to gum up the contacts and small springs to the point were they will not operate.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Trucker73
Advanced

I had my brake light staying on and it turned out the switch in the handlebar had moved just a tad. All i had to do was move the switch back to its proper position and make sure it stayed in place.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I have seen two different symptoms. The first being that the brake light just does not come on and I have seen a brake light flicker with no pressure to the handle. I would definitely look at the handle as a problem before cutting and soldering on a new switch. Start with cheap and easy first.
The light does not come on when I pull the front brake lever. It does come on when I push the rear brake lever.

I took the handlebar switch housing apart and in there it looks like there are 3 switches guessing ignition cutoff/starter, right turn signal & brake light. The are in there good with what looks like factory solder and a plate with a screw. Really tight in there. I checked the contact point and it appears that the circuit activates when you pull the lever bringing it out of contact with the switch at that ooint. The contact point is just this tiny black dome thing on the outside of tge housing where the brake lever woukd sit while disengaged.

Is there anyone that can help with a way to test the switch before try to track down a replacement and I swap it out?

Was hoping the contact point was just out of alignment with the brake lever but after looking at it, I think if that were hapoening it would be stuck on not off... is my logic correct?

Any other fix help is appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How to fix front brake light switch?