EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Valve train noise

My 97 Heritage is making some god awful valve noise. The bike is stock 80" with V-Thunder 3020 cam, Screaming Eagle lifters and SE adjustable push rods. I have set preload no telling how many times trying to get it to go away. I am at the end of my rope and I'm going to have to start tearing into the cam chest to get a closer look. I have used a long screw drive to listen for the source of the sound and it is in the front cylinder rocker box. Sounds like the exhaust valve.

My question is, can a bad lifter cause valve noise? Or would it be more in the cam chest? My dad bought the bike used and I dont know the real history of the bike. So I'm not sure how many miles the cam and stuff have on them.

Should I start in the cam chest or work my way down starting with the rocker boxes?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"source of the sound and it is in the front cylinder rocker box. Sounds like the exhaust valve. "

Mine is ticking from the same area, I bought one of those mechanics stethoscope and it's from that front rocker on the front pot.

I have had the bike only a couple of months and have done about 2000 miles and the sound has not changed. I have been told it could be a number of things but most likely a worn rocker shaft as the motor has nearly hit 100k miles. I initially wanted to tear the motor down but I think I'll wait till winter and it's only an tick not a clank LOL. That's my $0.02

Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM
gump305
Cruiser

The bike has 55000 miles, I just don't feel safe riding it till I get this figured out. I would really hate for something to let go and grenade the motor.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by gump305
The bike has 55000 miles, I just don't feel safe riding it till I get this figured out. I would really hate for something to let go and grenade the motor.
Go listen to some other bikes and see if the noise is as bad as you think.

A top end ticking is hardly grenade territory and if it bothers you, pull the rockers and see what is going on....some adjustable pushrods contact the pushrod tower and make a heck of a racket...you should start there...

Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 PM
gump305
Cruiser

Trust me it is as bad as I think, its not just some small ticking sound, it's freaking bangin I tell ya.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 PM
gump305
Cruiser

You can clearly hear it over my pipes. When I adjust the push rods and after they bleed down you spin the front exhaust push rod and it feels like there is a groove of some sorts. It can spin freely but you can feel it. I loosened it back up and it feels like its coming from the rocker arm not in the lifter plunger side if you get what I'm saying. I have removed all the push rods and checked if the were bent and they are straight. I also chamfered all the push rod tubes and check for any burrs or any place where they may be rubbing and they all look good. The noise is definitely coming from the rocker boxs.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Broken valve spring maybe?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Sooo.... Pull the front rocker box and take a look. Nothing there, work your way down. Last time I bought a gasket set for the rockerboxes, it was just about $50 at the Stealerships. Might want to go online and get an aftermarket set before tearing it down.

Get the bike up on a stand, pull the plugs, put the bike in gear and have someone rotate the rear tire, while you take a look see at the valve action.

Good luck, and post up what you find.

Originally Posted by Kees
Mine is ticking from the same area, I bought one of those mechanics stethoscope and it's from that front rocker on the front pot.

I have had the bike only a couple of months and have done about 2000 miles and the sound has not changed.
FWIW:
All EVO's make a lot of mechanical noise (especially when compared to non-Harleys).

EVO valve train geometry is a source of much noise. Alter the geometry from factory (cam with more lift/duration) and the noise changes.

Modify the engines and they make even more and different noises.

My 93 makes lots of noise. I've lived with it since new (20+ years), both factory new, and modified with cam,exhaust,ac, and ignition.

When it's hot outside, the noises are 'different' than when it's cold outside.

Many noises may appear to be coming from the engine, but are often being generated elsewhere.

Even rubber mounted engines will shake things loose on bikes. I've replaces numerous exhaust shields, saddle bag mounts, and a rear fender brace. All because of metal fatigue due to vibration.

Some noises mean impending disaster, others mean it's running normal.

Loud metallic noises or loud squeals, are generally indications that something bad is about to, or has happened.

Last edited by Hackd; 10-04-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I'd get in that cam chest for starters to insure all is sound, then methodically dissassemble the lifters to check for any debris.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
I'd get in that cam chest for starters to insure all is sound, then methodically dissassemble the lifters to check for any debris.
Scott
I'm of the same opinion. It's difficult to locate valve train noises, and even if you think it's in the rocker box , check the cam chest first.

The most common valve train failures in EVO's are lifters and cam bearings. Check the lifters first as they tend to cause collateral damage and are a known weak point. Cam bearing should have been changed with the cam replacement.

I've seen several EVO's where the noise seemed to come from the rocker boxes...and turned out to be a bad lifter.

The following users liked this post:
MRDAD1 (10-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Valve train noise