The (re)(re)(re)rebuild begins again

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default The (re)(re)(re)rebuild begins again

she's prepped and ready.

began the swingarm upgrade tonight too. she's basically stripped to the bare frame from the trees back at this point.

hoping graham will chime in on this one, because im not 100% sure with what I want to do yet regarding the pivot shaft (whether to stick with 5/8", and buy $250 adapter bushings), or have the transmission bored for the 3/4" shaft (which I already have) and just buy the *much* cheaper urethane bushings.

as a note, apparently I push this bike pretty hard. I have a bagger brace (forget the brand), and I managed to actually SHEAR the bolt where the heim joint bolts to the dogbone. didnt happen in the accident....that bolt was on the right side, i went down on the left.

planning on a tranny inspection (measure / re-shim / adjust as necessary), simply because it's out anyways. ive got all winter to kill...this bike likely wont see pavement til March.

and so it begins (again)

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

See what a loser of a friend I am. I shoulda brought this engine home for ya. I saw it in the HD Boutique in Barbados and it's an Evo belonging to a Fat Boy... and all I did was get ya a shirt.

Last edited by Tee⋁ 10-06-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wrong image
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Good luck with the build.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper86
she's prepped and ready.

began the swingarm upgrade tonight too. she's basically stripped to the bare frame from the trees back at this point.

hoping graham will chime in on this one, because im not 100% sure with what I want to do yet regarding the pivot shaft (whether to stick with 5/8", and buy $250 adapter bushings), or have the transmission bored for the 3/4" shaft (which I already have) and just buy the *much* cheaper urethane bushings.

as a note, apparently I push this bike pretty hard. I have a bagger brace (forget the brand), and I managed to actually SHEAR the bolt where the heim joint bolts to the dogbone. didnt happen in the accident....that bolt was on the right side, i went down on the left.

planning on a tranny inspection (measure / re-shim / adjust as necessary), simply because it's out anyways. ive got all winter to kill...this bike likely wont see pavement til March.

and so it begins (again)

Keep the progress with pixs coming... after one more trip up to N Conway and over to hampton beach....i will be rite behind you. 08 swing arm and a bunch other stuff.....
HF lift? Buy extensions for it? GOOD LUCK!! Oh and i was advised by several guys not to bore bigger.....but i aint there yet.

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 10-06-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Don't try to bore the trans, that is a precision job best left alone! From what I can make out the brands that sell alternative bushings also sell the conversion variety you need, certainly HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal do. Those bushings improve handling as well, by dumping the cleve blocks, so they are both a replacement and enhancement! A stock one piece 5/8" axle is all you need, but replacements come in those bushing kits because they commonly corrode and suffer damage in being removed.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Good luck! Keep the pictures coming!

And, may I make a suggestion? Your helmets are perfect breeding grounds for spiders......I keep mine in a closed bag.......Don't ask me how I know...............

Last edited by traildog; 10-07-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I'm pulling the swing arm on my 89 Tour Glide this winter, too. Haven't decided which yet, but will upgrade the pivot hardware, not oem Harley. Won't quite look like yours, will be on a jack I can roll, in the living room, won't pull the engine (I hope), but will have the front end off for a fork rebuild. 120,000+, all new bearings outside the cases, too, it deserves it. A weld repair on the tour pack rack. Brake pads, tires, wheel bearings, all the tins coming off, some weight reduction, wiring cleanup; this is probably going to end up bigger than I planned, but that always seems to happen.

I never leave a helmet in the garage, either; not just bugs - had a squirrel ruin a Simpson I liked better than any helmet I've had since. They seem to like digging the insulation out. For some reason a bunch of squirrels died in my yard after that... and still do.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I never leave a helmet in the garage, either; not just bugs - had a squirrel ruin a Simpson I liked better than any helmet I've had since. They seem to like digging the insulation out. For some reason a bunch of squirrels died in my yard after that... and still do.

I bring mine in and take the pads out for cleaning when the season is over for a while.

Dying squirrels? You sure you aren't doing some "plinking?"

Last edited by traildog; 10-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I leave my helmet in the garage but in the helmet bag.

Good luck with the project, looks like you have some fun ahead of you.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
squirrel gravy!

Good luck with the rebuild, that S&S will be interesting and more than likely ruin some underwear

Quick Reply: The (re)(re)(re)rebuild begins again