EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Softtail Vibes Evo vs TC vs S&

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I am 73 years old and sometimes ride well over 200 miles at a time although much of it at 65 rather than 80. My 99 Softail Custom is reasonably smooth up through 80 and my mirrors are always solid. That might be because of my stock buckhorn bars. I think part of it for me was riding an 84 Iron Head Sporty for 23 years. When I got the Softail I thought it was almost to smooth. I have ridden the rubber mounts and the balanced Twin Cams, and nothing feels as good to me as my Softy. But then I don't tour accross country either. Different strokes.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride alot of long distance stuff on my new to me 1989 Electraglide Ultra Classic which is bone stock. I do most of my riding at high speed around 80-85 mph for full tanks of gas and it is smooth as can be. I actually prefer to run it at this speed 'cause the engine really zips along and just feels right at home there around 3700-3900 rpm.

I rode a 2013 Electraglide 103 that was also stock before I bought my Evo at those speeds on the same type of roads and it was very smooth as well. It was easier to ride and handled better but I didn't like the 6 speed transmission personally, just too many gears for what you need IMHO. I can go 100mph on my Evo w/o vibration being noticeable and I don't run out of gears yet either with a standard 5 speed. Seems like a marketing thing to have the 6 gear tranny. Especially when you consider sportbikes and race bikes don't need more than 5 and make over 180hp stock now and go over 200mph. Just my thoughts.

The other thing was the TC burned my leg a couple of times the way the pipes are located and how hot it gets.

My overall opinion in the contrast of the two is that the Evo is the bike I prefer to ride for enjoyment of the riding experience for motor (more torquey and a bit more personality), the TC would be my preference if I had to really put in some hard miles under difficult conditions and get there as quickly as possibly. That TC just gobbles up the miles, it just does it in a fairly uninspiring fashion I suppose.

Last edited by TheBanditColorado; 10-22-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser

Ah, FlashPrez, you made the lights go on. Add a 6 speed tranny to the evo softy. That way you can keep all the goodness of the evo and lower the freeway vibes. I was actually thinking about doing that to my sportster for the same reason so I'm a little surprised I didn't think of it myself. I upgraded to the 95 Road King instead.

CB, my RK cruises nice at 80 plus, but it's a rubber mounted engine. All the softtails are solid mounted so it's a different ballgame as the revs increase. I, too, think the 5 speed is fine, but here is a good reason for the 6. A lot of the twinkie owners rave about the 6 speed. I wasn't as impressed with that as I was the difference in power between an 88 and a 96 inch engine.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

6 speed is there to get the bike through the EPA regs, its also designed so that Hillibillies can count the gears on the fingers of one hand....

Personally I prefer the 5 speed too.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 PM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer

Originally Posted by Spanners39
6 speed ...its also designed so that Hillibillies can count the gears on the fingers of one hand....
You crack me up man... that is too funny!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=Spanners39;11904698]6 speed is there to get the bike through the EPA regs, its also designed so that Hillibillies can count the gears on the fingers of one hand....

You mean their wife's, sorry their sisters hand....

Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBanditColorado
I ride alot of long distance stuff on my new to me 1989 Electraglide Ultra Classic which is bone stock. I do most of my riding at high speed around 80-85 mph for full tanks of gas and it is smooth as can be. I actually prefer to run it at this speed 'cause the engine really zips along and just feels right at home there around 3700-3900 rpm.

I rode a 2013 Electraglide 103 that was also stock before I bought my Evo at those speeds on the same type of roads and it was very smooth as well. It was easier to ride and handled better but I didn't like the 6 speed transmission personally, just too many gears for what you need IMHO. I can go 100mph on my Evo w/o vibration being noticeable and I don't run out of gears yet either with a standard 5 speed. Seems like a marketing thing to have the 6 gear tranny. Especially when you consider sportbikes and race bikes don't need more than 5 and make over 180hp stock now and go over 200mph. Just my thoughts.

The other thing was the TC burned my leg a couple of times the way the pipes are located and how hot it gets.

My overall opinion in the contrast of the two is that the Evo is the bike I prefer to ride for enjoyment of the riding experience for motor (more torquey and a bit more personality), the TC would be my preference if I had to really put in some hard miles under difficult conditions and get there as quickly as possibly. That TC just gobbles up the miles, it just does it in a fairly uninspiring fashion I suppose.
The six speed has the same final ratio as the five speed just another gear in there. It is not an over drive transmission like a Baker. I bet my '93 would do well over 130 with a od six.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
The six speed has the same final ratio as the five speed just another gear in there. It is not an over drive transmission like a Baker. I bet my '93 would do well over 130 with a od six.
Recent Harley 6-speeds do indeed have a direct top internal ratio, same as the 5-speeds, however overall gearing is higher, so sixth is just like an overdrive gear. Early Harley 6-speeds were an overdrive top and that SE conversion is available for our Evos, with a .885:1 sixth. Baker make a choice of two different 6-speeds, both overdrive and direct drive.

As for your or anyone's Harley doing 130mph, with or without a sixth gear, only in your dreams! It will run out of power to punch a bl**dy great hole through the air, long before it gets that fast! Probably needs at least one HP for every mph at those speeds, at sea level.

On my 1990 bike, which started life as an International spec model, original gearing gave 25.5mph/1,000rpm, a theoretical speed of 128mph at 5,000rpm. I now have US spec gearing of 22.2mph/1,000rpm, which is more sensible and corresponds to 111mph at 5k rpm. My S&S 107", with 101HP could probably achieve that. It will actually rev to 6,500rpm, or 144mph, but no way will it go that fast! An S&S 145" with 160+HP might get there.......

Last edited by grbrown; 10-23-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Bike is bone stock, except ac and drag pipes. It's done 120mph in Wyoming for miles and miles, with the stock 5 speed. Pretty sure it'll do 130 with an overdrive. Like you said it's in the gearing, and that is stock also.

My 94 Springer will barely break 100.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Recent Harley 6-speeds do indeed have a direct top internal ratio, same as the 5-speeds, however overall gearing is higher, so sixth is just like an overdrive gear. Early Harley 6-speeds were an overdrive top and that SE conversion is available for our Evos, with a .885:1 sixth. Baker make a choice of two different 6-speeds, both overdrive and direct drive.

As for your or anyone's Harley doing 130mph, with or without a sixth gear, only in your dreams! It will run out of power to punch a bl**dy great hole through the air, long before it gets that fast! Probably needs at least one HP for every mph at those speeds, at sea level.

On my 1990 bike, which started life as an International spec model, original gearing gave 25.5mph/1,000rpm, a theoretical speed of 128mph at 5,000rpm. I now have US spec gearing of 22.2mph/1,000rpm, which is more sensible and corresponds to 111mph at 5k rpm. My S&S 107", with 101HP could probably achieve that. It will actually rev to 6,500rpm, or 144mph, but no way will it go that fast! An S&S 145" with 160+HP might get there.......
I have been 137mph on a 130HP 120R-motored Wide Glide and it was still pulling.....maybe your bike needs to go on a diet

Quick Reply: Softtail Vibes Evo vs TC vs S&