EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Softtail Vibes Evo vs TC vs S&

Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softtail Vibes Evo vs TC vs S&

Evo vs twin cam vs S&S. How do they compare in a softtail frame for vibrations at 70-80 mph freeway cruising? I know the Motor Co added the balancers to the bottom end of the twin cam "B" engines for the softtails.

I am thinking about turning a heritage or fatboy into a tourer/all-rounder with a fairing and hard bags(because they seem seem to fit me better than my RK and I like the lower center of gravity).

Maybe start with an evo and put in the S&S when $ allows...

Last edited by Whitey1; 10-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Other than my shovel, which I bought new, my Harleys have all been rubber mounts. I have owned a TC, which wasn't very smooth until running at higher revs, my stock Evo was alright, my S&S is smoothest. However those comments obviously don't help much with a solid mount! My shovel took around 10k miles to run in. It vibrated the worst of any bike I have ever owned, when new, but was fine later on. How about a 'new' big S&S 103" shovel.......

Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

The main complaint I hear from "real" bikers about TC Softails (balanced motor) is that they are too smooth and not like a real Harley.....it is the smoothest rigid mounted H-D motor you can get....and that is not a bad thing at all.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
The main complaint I hear from "real" bikers about TC Softails (balanced motor) is that they are too smooth and not like a real Harley.....it is the smoothest rigid mounted H-D motor you can get....and that is not a bad thing at all.
With the B motor you loose horse power.

If I wanted to ride down the road without vibration I would buy a Cadillac.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a softail EVO and a TC-B motor. For highway cruising the TC is much nicer over 65, the mirrors still work. But I find that at 50mph or so, there is so little difference in the feel that it's hard to tell if you are in 4th or 5th gears, I wear ear plugs so the noise does not help. The EVO lets you know the RPMs just by it's feel or vibration feedback.

To be honest I have many years on EVOs and only one on the TC, get carb'd TC and you will do OK, they even sound pretty good..

Ds

Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Lumpy Schmidt
Cruiser

It's perspective. I have an EVO softail, and to me it's smooth as silk until you get it up over 60. When compared to my Sportster, it does ride like a Caddy. The Sportster rattles you from idle.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Whitey1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
With the B motor you loose horse power.

THC, you are correct, I have read that you lose about 3 hp with the TC "B" . Pretty easily made up with a cam. One of the things that has always held me back from a TC in general is the $1000 dollar hit for upgrading to an Andrews gear driven cam set (something, for me, that would be mandatory).

As for the vibration, aren't HD's supposed to be the Cadillac of motorcycles? Vibration is ok for short rides or when I was younger (I've owned a shovelhead and a solid mount evo sportster), but for eating highway miles at speed I'd rather do without, thank you.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger but I am exploring my options before I start putting money into my RK that I won't be able to recoup.

Any reliability issues known for the twin cam B relating to the balancers?

I think the sweet spot for me would be the 2002 model year with a carb (still has the Timken bearing on the drive side of the crank).

Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Now you are just being silly Mike

You don't really notice the lost HP and you can get it back with a stage 1 tune.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
snailhouse_projects
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

my twin cam on the roadking is smooth but that doesn't compare to softail models. but my softail with the S&S 117" shakes the change outta my pocket! certain rpms it smooth's out but still shakes....

Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whitey1

Any reliability issues known for the twin cam B relating to the balancers?

I think the sweet spot for me would be the 2002 model year with a carb (still has the Timken bearing on the drive side of the crank).
No reliability issues that I know of...pain to work on though.

That 2002 crank issue is rather blown out of proportion if you ask me...which if you had any sense you wouldn't...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softtail Vibes Evo vs TC vs S&