EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My 1997 FXDL - some issues - NOOB thread #2

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1997 FXDL - some issues - NOOB thread #2

OK,

1. Replaced the derby cover with one from Drag Specialties. The guess on it being warped were correct. What a bloody mess. He must have torqued each screw to 99 foot punds and not inch pounds (I think about 6 foot pounds is correct for the screws to the Derby cover) this thing had dents at all three points. My fear is it was torqued so tight he bent the attachment points on the primary cover. Any thoughts?

2-The horn. I wasnt able to take it off. The screw and nut holding it to the hanger were fused. I didnt have time to play with PB Blaster or Kroil and didnt want to break anything. I removed the wire female ends and wire brushed the connector tabs. I suspect a kink or short in one wire will need to use a tester on it.

3. Bike would not start. I got a click when I pushed the button. It's been two weeks since it ran and it was running for sure two weeks ago. I Attached the battery tender to the added-on attachment on the bike (to the battery), but the indicator light only said it was on and not that it was charging or floating. I suspect his connection that hooked into the battery is not right or off. I will take battery out and use a charger that I have with alligator clips for 12 v batteries. Its the $29 dollar Harbor Freight one and has never given me an issue.

4. Grrrrrrr I trusted the seller (I know don't say it) and did not take off seat to check on the year old "New" battery. So not sure if the issue with horn and starter is dying or weak battery or a short. What I found when I took off the seat angered me. The bracket that the front tab of the seat slips into was broken off. He had some jury rigged system on the solo seat front and I wonder if he did the breaking to accomodate this. A few spot welds to a new piece, some grinding and paint should fix it but GRRRRRRRR me no happy!

Any thoughts on how to service or check the horn while on the bike? I plan to put a mini beast horn in eventually.

Also thoughts on why it wont start? I hope its just the juice-I suspect it is but you never know!

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited by CISO1969; 10-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 1,478 Posts

1. Replaced the derby cover with one from Drag Specialties. The guess on it being warped were correct.

Guess you found out that parts made by the lowest bidder from some $#hithole 3rd world country are not always the best. That being said, the attaching points are not going to bend; break maybe but not bend. If you are still stuck on having the chromed item you night consider taking it off, getting a very flat surface (something like glass or granite), putting a piece of sandpaper down and seeing if you can make it flat and even. It is small enough that it should not take much to get it right provided it is not badly warped.

2-The horn. I wasnt able to take it off. The screw and nut holding it to the hanger were fused. I didnt have time to play with PB Blaster or Kroil

Seems as though you have the down time now so why not use the PBB or Kroil and fix the problem while the bike is not running. A little time spent on the front end is well worth the time you might lose later.

3. Bike would not start. I got a click when I pushed the button. It's been two weeks since it ran and it was running for sure two weeks ago.
4. I trusted the seller (I know don't say it) and did not take off seat to check on the year old "New" battery. So not sure if the issue with horn and starter is dead battery or a short.

Well you definitely need to test the battery and check the charging system as well. After that then check the solenoid and starter relay.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by panz4ever
1. Replaced the derby cover with one from Drag Specialties. The guess on it being warped were correct.

Guess you found out that parts made by the lowest bidder from some $#hithole 3rd world country are not always the best. That being said, the attaching points are not going to bend; break maybe but not bend. If you are still stuck on having the chromed item you night consider taking it off, getting a very flat surface (something like glass or granite), putting a piece of sandpaper down and seeing if you can make it flat and even. It is small enough that it should not take much to get it right provided it is not badly warped.

2-The horn. I wasnt able to take it off. The screw and nut holding it to the hanger were fused. I didnt have time to play with PB Blaster or Kroil

Seems as though you have the down time now so why not use the PBB or Kroil and fix the problem while the bike is not running. A little time spent on the front end is well worth the time you might lose later.

3. Bike would not start. I got a click when I pushed the button. It's been two weeks since it ran and it was running for sure two weeks ago.
4. I trusted the seller (I know don't say it) and did not take off seat to check on the year old "New" battery. So not sure if the issue with horn and starter is dead battery or a short.

Well you definitely need to test the battery and check the charging system as well. After that then check the solenoid and starter relay.

Thank you Tonight I plan to take outthe battery and use my charger. I am having the tires repalced, fluids done and inspection Tuesday--so the horn thing could not be at a more inopportune time

Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,742 Likes on 1,079 Posts

The horn is grounded through the hold on bolt and nut. The single wire going to the horn is positive wire. If the hold down nut is rusted this may be your horn problem.

To test on the bike just make sure the horn body is grounded or negative and touch the terminal with a known hot or positive wire.
I'd look for a wasp nest or mud daubber nest in the horn, maybe spider; other wise it should work. The screw on the back of the horn adjust it's tone.

Do yourself a favor and get a real battery charger that can also crank an engine. If the battery is more than 4yr. old then it is dead.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

ok the shop picked up the bike yesterday. Got a call just now regarding changing oil. It seems that there was confusion as to whether or not I wanted oil changed (I did) he told me tthe oil was the blackest oil he has ever seen.

I know its dark but when I looked at it the two times I did , it seemed brownish more so then black. I'm a bit concerned now. No leaks etc, but maybe my original gut feel on the seller was wrong. Looks like he didnt keep up on the maintenance. The shop guy said "change it, then change it again sooner then you would"

Also the air in front forks was filled way too much. Even I know that's just as bad as under-filled, but the seals seem very strong, so let's keep the fingers crossed.

He did find that my front motor mount was on it's way out. I know for my truck they are about $50 a pop, anyone know how much they'd be for a 1997 Dyna? Also what is a fair labor cost is and is it something I could do that myself? I suspect I can.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that I didn't inherit a money pit. I need to get a bike mechanic best friend to take with me next time I look at bikes.

This one impressed me when I did all the checks and like I said i checked the oil no grit and it was brownish.

I'm wondering if he topped the oil off with fresh, then added oil to primary which explains why he damaged the derby cover and why the motor oil appeared brownish to me?

I can't let myself get stressed. The bike shop didn't seem to think it was doom and gloom.

Any input or thoughts appreciated.

Lee

Last edited by CISO1969; 10-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ALL Harleys are money pits! Just be glad you didn't inherit a problem like mine. Front mount should be cake. Take it easy...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Yeah I got the OEM service manual (finally!) today. That mount is cake. A jack under motor, a few bolts, torque them back to 25 Ft pounds after the new one is installed and voila!

I was surprised at the shops comments on dealing with the oil-I asked if he was going to flush it, or drain and fill, run it, then drain and fill again. That's when he said "Just change it sooner then you would next time" I am going to re read Spanners post on black oil in my first noob post-although I may regret it as I think he said it was baaaaad.

I also never heard back from the guy today and he originally was supposed to bring the bike back tonight too. I'm finding bike mechanics and shops are a lot different then the world of cars and trucks I am used to.

Dare I say it, I took a crapload of high resolution photos of the bike and key parts and sections before he took it to the shop. I regret not jotting down the numbers on the rims but have some very clear photos of front and back and they are pristine. One of my other irrational concerns (which I know is irrational and stress more than anything) is things might get cherry picked off my bike cause he knows (or his mechanic knows) I am new and may not notice--hence all the photos. He has a decent reputation in the area and it would be stupid for him to do something like that as word gets around, but hey, it's still one of those nagging thoughts. In future I plan to do my own work unless major just like I do on my Xterra.

I really want to get a chance to ride this thing before it gets too cold or wet etc.

Lee

Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There aren't many things the average joe can't do on an EVO with a decent set of tools, a fsm, and some interweb support. If you can work your way around a car, you can wrench this bike. It's just a different animal.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM
CISO1969
Cruiser

I have done my exhaust, my custom front and rear bumper installation, timing belt and water pump, rotors, pads and calipers, cold air intake installation, slider mounting, custom leafspring and shackles and shocks, assisted a team in the suspension lift, uppercontrol arm bushing replacement and upper ball joints, tie rods and tie rod adjusters and the armor skid plates too. Donated lots of blood to the driveway gods

I'm not afraid to dive in on motorcycle repair, just need a lifeguard on duty until I get warm in the water. This forum has a ton of helpful people so just exactly what I needed!

Thanks man

Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mentioned aid in the front shocks , & say its a Dyna , Now I know the Big E Glides had/have air shocks in the front .but didn't know the Dynas did , is it a custom front end or is the shop pulling your chain ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1997 FXDL - some issues - NOOB thread #2