EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wiring an Ultima ignition??

Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wiring an Ultima ignition??

After waiting for almost two months, my Ultima single fire programmable ignition and oil pump finally arrived. I have installed both and wiring the ignition is the final project before I fire the bike up. I have only posted here once, but find this forum a great source for information. I bought the bike after it had sit for about six years with a bad main bearing. The bike is 1997 Ultra Classic (international (Japanese) model) w/efi, and I took it down to the frame, cleaned, and rebuilt everything. I have been working on this bike for about a year now and have learned so much, but still I put up a "mental block" when it comes to wiring and electrical. The wiring is pretty simple, but I want to know where to connect the white wire from the ignition. The pink and blue go to each side of the coil, the white goes to the middle (+). Now, I need to make a jumper wire to connect to the white and run to my power source. Do I use the power (grn/y +12) from the original connector? Or do I need to find the white or white/black as it says in the installation instructions. Also, what about the tach wire? I know this should be simple and probably sounds stupid, but I am just ready to be finished. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 435 Likes on 251 Posts

Follow the instructions....tach usually comes off the pink.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
After waiting for almost two months, my Ultima single fire programmable ignition and oil pump finally arrived. I have installed both and wiring the ignition is the final project before I fire the bike up. I have only posted here once, but find this forum a great source for information. I bought the bike after it had sit for about six years with a bad main bearing. The bike is 1997 Ultra Classic (international (Japanese) model) w/efi, and I took it down to the frame, cleaned, and rebuilt everything. I have been working on this bike for about a year now and have learned so much, but still I put up a "mental block" when it comes to wiring and electrical. The wiring is pretty simple, but I want to know where to connect the white wire from the ignition. The pink and blue go to each side of the coil, the white goes to the middle (+). Now, I need to make a jumper wire to connect to the white and run to my power source. Do I use the power (grn/y +12) from the original connector? Or do I need to find the white or white/black as it says in the installation instructions. Also, what about the tach wire? I know this should be simple and probably sounds stupid, but I am just ready to be finished. Thanks in advance.
i do not have an international wire harness to confirm what color - But in the USA the wire for ignition is always white or white with a black stripe --you could check the wire you have the green and yellow with a test light - turn the key on see if it lights - yes / no - flip the switch to off than on / on the handlebars see if it goes on and off -- than if it works as it should you only have one more test, see if the light stays on when the engine is cranking over to start, if the green / yellow does all of that you found the right one --

ultma ignition for single fire wiring as per directions

VIOLET - to Voes switch Violet wire the voes also has a black that is ground < and yes you need one
Green -- goes to the pink for the tach
Pink -- directions say is the rear cylinder
Blue -- directions say front cylinder
White wire -- is the on / off - usually a white or a white with black stripe

hope that helps -- johnjzjz

Last edited by johnjzjz; 11-23-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me rephrase a little. I can find a hot wire with my volt meter, but before I going ripping into things will I have to splice into the harness or am I looking for a connector? Where is the best place to splice/connect. All of my wires on the backbone are covered or can I attach under the fairng???. Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Thanks again

Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me rephrase a little. I can find a hot wire with my volt meter, but before I going ripping into things will I have to splice into the harness or am I looking for a connector? Where is the best place to splice/connect. All of my wires on the backbone are covered or can I attach under the fairng???. Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Thanks again
tap into the Right on / off switch on the handle bar the wires are under the tank find the wire that will turn the ignition on and off and will also keep it on the igniton while your cranking the engine -- thats it

Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Rob85WG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still have a kill/run switch on the right grip that wire needs to run straight to the center terminal on the coil. The center terminal also feeds the Ultima. Try to keep the wiring similar to stock so the factory schematics are accurate.

If you don't have a factory schematic and service manual, get them. We can help you read the schematic.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

You should already have the fuel tank off and wire is under tank, ignition white wire with black tracer is located on right side of the frame rail. It is in a connector body taped to to main harness, I put the Ultima in the White Bike when removing the EFI, it is a straight forward setup and only weakness is the coil quality is weak.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

Thanks for the info. All of my wires were completely covered and after I got all of the wires exposed I found the white/black and got power. About the time I was looking into the tach, I had another electrical problem. My work lights burned out within seconds of each other and I didn't have any replacement bulbs. My garage very dark, a concrete bunker under my house. I will assume that the tach will be as easy to locate and tap into. After I get off work today, I hope to finish up this project. Thanks again

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. All of my wires were completely covered and after I got all of the wires exposed I found the white/black and got power. About the time I was looking into the tach, I had another electrical problem. My work lights burned out within seconds of each other and I didn't have any replacement bulbs. My garage very dark, a concrete bunker under my house. I will assume that the tach will be as easy to locate and tap into. After I get off work today, I hope to finish up this project. Thanks again
If you have anymore questions just send me a message. Just finished mine two weeks ago and now have it dialed in. I love it and the olde girl acts as if she is on steriods.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Dgaroutte
Advanced

I hope this is the last question for this project. According to the instructions:

Tach connection (if equipped). Attach the pink wire from the tach to the ignition green wire with the large (.250) blade connectors. If the
bike had only one pink (or pink/black) wire at the coil, connect this to the ignition green wire.

Where does this blade connector connect or do I have to splice into the pink/black tach wire? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring an Ultima ignition??