EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips $89.99 Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:53 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips $89.99 Opinions please

Anyone here ever try these heated grips?

I am still looking for gifts for myself for Christmas and these seem like a good price. I am attempting to ride all through winter this year. i did it last year but my hands were pretty cold. Right now I am riding with my snowboarding gloves which is fine with the current temperatures which are 40-50's but if it gets below that my hands get cold.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/o...g-heated-grips

[/URL]

Last edited by TheBanditColorado; 11-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Interesting! Oxford is a well known UK brand, although it is not clear if that ad is for the same company. Those grips are for 3/4" bars and I suspect will not fit onto 1" ones. They also sell Symtec Heat Demon Grip Heaters For 1" Bars, although they cost a little more.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another excellent option is HotGrips.

http://www.hotgrips.com

I had them on my last bike and they were great.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I've always questioned how heated grips can be superior to heated gloves. IMO they are not, but you don't have to screw with wiring with the grips every ride. Still, I'd gift myself the gloves.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I've always questioned how heated grips can be superior to heated gloves. IMO they are not, but you don't have to screw with wiring with the grips every ride. Still, I'd gift myself the gloves.

Stiggy,

I wouldn't say heated grips are superior, but they are a lot more convenient. There are a lot of other factors to consider than just superiority.

Heated grips are nice because you ALWAYS have them. They CANNOT be forgotten in the garage. I like being able to ride in cold weather with just my summer gloves. I like being able to just flip a switch and keep warm without having to pull over.

With heated gloves you HAVE to bring them with you. If you have bags or a top box, that's easy, just toss them in and go. But if your bike is bare bones, then you HAVE to decide to wear them before you leave. You also HAVE to wear the heated jacket liner as that is what the gloves plug into. You HAVE to bring the controller and the cords. Once again more things you HAVE to decide to wear and bring before leaving.

Riding in California it's not unheard of to go from the valley where it's in the 90s. over to the coast where it's misty, cool and in the 50s. When I hit the coast it's nice to just zip up the jacket and turn on the grips. Now when the temps drop way down, then yes, I pull over, put on the jacket liner, heated gloves, hook up the controller, plug in the cables, and continue on.

But I have an Ultra, with lots of space to carry all that stuff. If I was on a Sportster, V-Rod, or Breakout, I'd have to decide wear all that stuff before leaving, and then carry it with me every where I go.

But I could be wrong.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Stiggy
The beauty of heated grips is that they are always there! At any time of the year, if it gets cold or is raining (when it often also gets cold) you can just switch them on, without stopping.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Good points there Paniolo / grbrown. Having the tourpak does make all that much more convenient.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:15 AM
TheBanditColorado
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up these yesterday and rode 50 miles at night… I didn't freeze but thought they could be warmer personally. Better than nothing though and for $6 you can't beat the price.

Amazon.com: HotHands Hand Warmers 10 Pair Value Pack: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: HotHands Hand Warmers 10 Pair Value Pack: Sports & Outdoors

Old 11-30-2013, 04:29 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having used both I can see the good and bad of grips/gloves.
The main draw back of heated gloves like any winter style glove is the bulky-ness (is that a word) of them, and the loss of dexterity. I always wear my heated liner at the mo, so wiring for me is not an issue.

Heated grips would be the way I would go, but only if I had a fairing, or some type of motocross hand guard that kept the wind off my hands, unlikely on a Harley, but then I would wear summer weight gloves with the grips nice and warm.
Heated grips also tend to be thicker than standard, which can feel weird for a while, or all the time if you don't get used to them. I never got used to them.

So pay your money and take your choice, but it will never be as comfortable as riding in summer.