EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Heads aligned with intake?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts
Default Heads aligned with intake?

Is it possible for the heads to be mounted slightly out of alignment with the intake manifold? Which would make for intake leaks.?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Is it possible for the heads to be mounted slightly out of alignment with the intake manifold? Which would make for intake leaks.?
no

jugs have alignment dowels to align them to the cases, and dowels to align the heads to them. (and there aint much slop in the head bolts where they pass through the head.

that's why the intake manifold gaskets (seals) are tapered, so they squish down and make a good seal.

you sure you have intake leaks? you use loctite on the bolts? (i made that mistake once, and mine loosened up on me). are the flanges flat/true? (they can warp)

Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
rick2800
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah this
Originally Posted by Jasper86
no

jugs have alignment dowels to align them to the cases, and dowels to align the heads to them. (and there aint much slop in the head bolts where they pass through the head.

that's why the intake manifold gaskets (seals) are tapered, so they squish down and make a good seal.

you sure you have intake leaks? you use loctite on the bolts? (i made that mistake once, and mine loosened up on me). are the flanges flat/true? (they can warp)

Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,906 Posts

What bike are you asking about?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
What bike are you asking about?
97 WG. I have had intake leaks in the past and had them reoccur too soon after fixing. The thought just came to mind maybe the heads could be off. The heads were shaved when I built it.
If or when it leaks again, I bought new S&S flanges & S&S seals for the S&S manifold. Stock HD seals are thicker, should I use the thicker HD seals?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jasper86
no

I did check the flanges last time for being flat.

Are you saying Loctite on the intake bolts? I don't think I did last time but have not noticed them loosening. Can I over tighten intake bolt and cause the leak?

Last edited by aces&8s; 01-05-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,906 Posts

97 WG. I have had intake leaks in the past and had them reoccur too soon after fixing. The thought just came to mind maybe the heads could be off. The heads were shaved when I built it.
If or when it leaks again, I bought new S&S flanges & S&S seals for the S&S manifold. Stock HD seals are thicker, should I use the thicker HD seals?
Sorry, I can't recall the answer to your question as it pertains to evo's. I do know that Shovels and prior you could "twist" the heads to better align the manifolds.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Sorry, I can't recall the answer to your question as it pertains to evo's. I do know that Shovels and prior you could "twist" the heads to better align the manifolds.
That's exactly why I had the thought.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 429 Likes on 247 Posts

On a twin cam you can't get the heads out of line and even if you decked the heads it doesn't change the interface at all. I would suggest you might be over tightening the bolts.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
On a twin cam you can't get the heads out of line and even if you decked the heads it doesn't change the interface at all. I would suggest you might be over tightening the bolts.
Thanks Span, I was hoping you would chime in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heads aligned with intake?