EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wide Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Rambeaux67
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide Rear

Hey guys I have been running the idea of either buying, having one built, or using my stock swingarm as a template to build a wider one to fit a wider rear tire on my 1985 FXWG. Im looking for some input from anyone who may have some experience with with this. Im sure im going to have to make some changes on the front pulley so that the belt still lines up and etc and if anyone has any other ideas i am all ears!! Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master

what size are you tire thinking about? I know a guy who went bigger 250 & after all his hard work & money didn't like the ride of it ,or the handling

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

• Narrow belt and standard (belt-drive) swingarm: As shown in the image above, a tire of up to 150 in width can be used in the stock frame and FX fender by using a slightly narrower belt (1-1/8" in stead of 1-1/2"). In this application, the tire clears the belt by about 3/8" (about 9 mm). So here even a 160 mm tire could be used provided that the fender, struts, bolts, and frame can provide it. Also, depending on how far the wheel is mounted to the front in the swing-arm slots, the front (tapered) portion of the swingarm can be an issue.
  • Narrow belt and extended (belt-drive) swingarm: Some HD models are equipped from the factory with 20 mm "extra-strong", kevlar belts. These belts come in only a few lengths, but as can be seen here, the 132 teeth belt is an appropriate fit with a 2" extended swingarm. Compared to the 1-1/8" (28.6 mm) belt, the 20 mm belt would provide 8 mm more clearance on one side. Hence, this would allow a tire of up to 180 mm to be fitted. In addition, the extended swingarm provides more clearance for the tire to the frame (as it is moved further back). Mullie Motors stocks 2" extended swingarms and 132 tooth, 20 mm belts.
  • Chain and standard or extended (belt-drive) swingarm: If you prefer a chain over a belt, that is of course also possible. A standard 530 O-ring chain can be about 1" (25) mm wide. The belt-drive inner primaries have about 0.7" (18 mm) more clearance than the chain drive primaries. So, an off-set sprocket can be used. Therefore at least a 160 wide tire can be mounted using a stock or extended (belt-drive) swingarm, but also 170 or even 180 mm tires could be squeezed in there. Mullie Motors offers aftermarket sprockets with several off-sets, or we can machine you one with a custom specified offset.
Source:

http://www.mulliemotors.com/indexmot...?page=widetire

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Rambeaux67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
what size are you tire thinking about? I know a guy who went bigger 250 & after all his hard work & money didn't like the ride of it ,or the handling
I dont want to go any bigger than a 200 rear tire. I have ridden bikes with the 240 on them, one being a v-rod which i really enjoyed and really has no comparison vs. what i have, but i dont want to go too big.
Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
  • Narrow belt and standard (belt-drive) swingarm: As shown in the image above, a tire of up to 150 in width can be used in the stock frame and FX fender by using a slightly narrower belt (1-1/8" in stead of 1-1/2"). In this application, the tire clears the belt by about 3/8" (about 9 mm). So here even a 160 mm tire could be used provided that the fender, struts, bolts, and frame can provide it. Also, depending on how far the wheel is mounted to the front in the swing-arm slots, the front (tapered) portion of the swingarm can be an issue.
  • Narrow belt and extended (belt-drive) swingarm: Some HD models are equipped from the factory with 20 mm "extra-strong", kevlar belts. These belts come in only a few lengths, but as can be seen here, the 132 teeth belt is an appropriate fit with a 2" extended swingarm. Compared to the 1-1/8" (28.6 mm) belt, the 20 mm belt would provide 8 mm more clearance on one side. Hence, this would allow a tire of up to 180 mm to be fitted. In addition, the extended swingarm provides more clearance for the tire to the frame (as it is moved further back). Mullie Motors stocks 2" extended swingarms and 132 tooth, 20 mm belts.
  • Chain and standard or extended (belt-drive) swingarm: If you prefer a chain over a belt, that is of course also possible. A standard 530 O-ring chain can be about 1" (25) mm wide. The belt-drive inner primaries have about 0.7" (18 mm) more clearance than the chain drive primaries. So, an off-set sprocket can be used. Therefore at least a 160 wide tire can be mounted using a stock or extended (belt-drive) swingarm, but also 170 or even 180 mm tires could be squeezed in there. Mullie Motors offers aftermarket sprockets with several off-sets, or we can machine you one with a custom specified offset.
Source:

http://www.mulliemotors.com/indexmot...?page=widetire
Thank you for the info and the link above!! I am going to go check this out now and do some more reading, rereading, research, talking to folks, etc. I was told by one guy that the 85 frame is still the same frame that the ironheads came in. I dont know how much truth is in that and if it is true what my options would be from there but im off to do some digging.

If anyone else has any comments or suggestions im all ears to them!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

An ironhead is a Sportster. '85 Evo Wide Glide and Super Glide had leftover Shovelhead frames.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Rambeaux67
Intermediate

Which is why i said i didnt know how much truth was in that.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You're really talking of a 70s style custom bike with what you have in mind! Take a look in the Shovel and Custom forums on HDF, to see if there is anyone who can help, just to broaden your audience.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Rambeaux67
Intermediate

So i just googled the wide tire kits for the shovel heads and theres options all over the place! Im going to do a little more digging before i bite the bullet but its coming soon!