EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dealer won't touch an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

My bike is a '99 first year for the Twin Cam. I've never asked the local dealer to work on it, but I wonder if they would being it's 15 years old and the motor style is still in production. Most frame parts look to be what was left over from the Evo's model. Brakes are the same as is the fairing and gauges. I believe they still do the Evo reman thing ,as well as the Twin cam. Kinda make you wonder the life span of a Harley tech?. Do they just one day forget everything they've learned over the years?.,,

Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealership will get parts even if they are discontinued, if it's in stock somewhere. Discontinued doesn't mean out of stock all the time.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

My local dealer has parts and will order anything that is available...I've ordered odd bits, bolts and things your would think not available but they were. I would not let them work on my bike unless I was broke down and stuck...

Tell ya what, get a 1990 chevy and take it to a dealer for new pistons or head gaskets...I'll be able to hear them laugh from here. No new car/bike dealer wants to fix the old stuff, they make their money on sales and factory reimbursed warranty work..

Ds

Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My local dealer will work on old bikes, and they even stock parts for evo's.... although not too many, just gaskets and stuff. What they don't have, they will order for you, and some of their "techs" aren't half bad with these old machines from what I hear. Tallahassee Harley Davidson (formerly Capital City HD). Stop by if you're ever in the area.... right off of Capital Circle NW about a 1/4 mile from I-10.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our local dealer is old and new school parts and repair shop. When H/D changed the new bike order formula for the number of new bike they get to have in stock for the yearly sales they had to change there store over to a show room. They had to build a new building three times the size it was. Now there's doodads all over the store clothing from head to toe, stuff to hang on the walls and floors and stuff more stuff. Thank goodness parts and service has not changed.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Sdo,
sorry for our forum mates as this shoulda been said already but:
where are the pics? U claim a hardtailed springer running an open belt!?!?!? I wanna see some pix, man...
tom

Old 02-28-2014, 07:04 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

My bike will never see a dealer. I have a good Indy shop for little stuff like cam spacers, tires, and stuff I can't do myself. The rest I do myself.

My brother works at BMW..they won't work on older (7+) cars because of liability. Dealer does an oil change, then owner blames shop because the tranny goes out, etc.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,247 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Our local dealership still stocks Shovel and Ironhead parts...I guess we're just lucky down here.

I was on a ride and I lost my dipstick...Harley used the same dipstick on all Softails from 84-99 and Sporters from 82-03...think the local dealer had one...no way

Old 02-28-2014, 08:07 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dealers .?

Originally Posted by bluharley
At the price the HD dealership will charge, I don't know why I would go to them. Find a good indie who runs a tight ship and doesn't have a bunch of guys hanging around drinking beer....that's a bad sign in my experience.
**** the dealerships ., they are only after your money.
If you have decided to ride an older bike you must also be ready to deal with any other than " steelerships ".
Check out your local small shops .

Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Possibly could be due to your mods. Many years ago (70's) I called the local Triumph dealer to see about getting some electrical work done on a friends bike. As soon as I mentioned "chopper" he said he wouldn't touch it. He did some carb work on one that later had a fender bolt go through the back tire and caused a crash. The owner tried to sue him for it.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't touch an EVO?