EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dealer won't touch an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

The root of this evil is the MoCo. They don't encourage anything except the sales of NEW bikes. They are the ones that forced their dealers to build bigger buildings (close to interstates) that had a specified amount of space for clothing and "lifestyle" things. A dealer's bread & butter is not the service and parts business for older bikes.

At this point there is still a major amount of parts and service support for EVOs without the MoCo. Fk'em

Twinkees? Twinkies? We don't need no stinking Twinkees!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda like the old adage "I believe in God, but churches not so much".
I believe in HD, but moco/dealers are just after my "tithes".

Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The jokes on them. Look at the bottom line of any auto dealership. Sales loses money on most front end deals, F&I department recoups if they are good, the service generates the income. Auto dealers know the formula, harley hasn't figured it out yet. They should be catering to all of us including Evo.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:04 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

I hear the stealership way of think again I have to disagree. Many years and miles on HD.
The dealer I go to works like this I will use the dip stick thing mentioned. .
Walk in Eric Some how I lost the dip stick to my FB (1996). Eric will look to see if they had one . If not Bob how soon you need it? Today man. Eric would go upstairs to their private owned bike collection take one off and bring it down.
No one stocks that many old parts there is no demand and inventory cost would make them unaffordable.
I have over the years seen this dealership take a parts off a new bike on the floor HD or BMW to get a rider from out of town back on the road.
Not once have I ever been over charged for any part or service. When my bike was in for an unexpected repair ,first thing salesman offers is a loner to ride.
Relationships are built with a dealer.
Bubba that walks in screaming about Stealership and all that BS will never get the service I get.
Few years back on a 4000 mile road trip Pigeon Forge TN Holiday weekend.
I noticed a brake pad wearing a bit more than I would like. Got in line went to eat came back done and priced no different than if I had done it at home.
Mischlers HD will care for my 96 EVO the same as the 2013 RGU. It may take a bit longer if a part is needed.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Here in the UK most of our current dealers post-date the Evo. Even my favourite one only just caught the end of them. Fortunately I can walk to my local indy, who cut his teeth on them.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I hear the stealership way of think again I have to disagree. Many years and miles on HD.
The dealer I go to works like this I will use the dip stick thing mentioned. .
Walk in Eric Some how I lost the dip stick to my FB (1996). Eric will look to see if they had one . If not Bob how soon you need it? Today man. Eric would go upstairs to their private owned bike collection take one off and bring it down.
No one stocks that many old parts there is no demand and inventory cost would make them unaffordable.
I have over the years seen this dealership take a parts off a new bike on the floor HD or BMW to get a rider from out of town back on the road.
Not once have I ever been over charged for any part or service. When my bike was in for an unexpected repair ,first thing salesman offers is a loner to ride.
Relationships are built with a dealer.
Bubba that walks in screaming about Stealership and all that BS will never get the service I get.
Few years back on a 4000 mile road trip Pigeon Forge TN Holiday weekend.
I noticed a brake pad wearing a bit more than I would like. Got in line went to eat came back done and priced no different than if I had done it at home.
Mischlers HD will care for my 96 EVO the same as the 2013 RGU. It may take a bit longer if a part is needed.
Like so many things attitude makes a world of difference.. Being a car guy, I deal with dealers on a daily basis.. Each one has its own issues, but end of the day, they are not a non profit organization. So, you have to go in with an open mind and not expect the unrealistic. I use the dealer for very few things, simply because I can and do find better quality and deals elsewhere. Plus, I resent the arrogance of the MoCo. When they turn an American icon into a Chinese clothing boutique, it just pisses me off.. The better, old timer, mechanics seem to have left for greener pastures, started indi's, retired or died. Like the car world, many of the shops have younger techs who weren't even born when our antiques were made.. That kind of makes it difficult to expect them to "know" how to fix them.. Imagine taking a carbureted car to a new car dealer, that would be like having a model A roll in.. Bunch of "oooh's" and "ahhh's", "I've heard about these" type comments, but very little experience.. So, if you ran the place, you would have to turn them away or charge accordingly for the learning curve.. The dealer that turns you away is probably doing you a service.. I respect the business decision to make money however they decide.. However, I also use my best judgment on whether I use the service they provide.. If you don't like your local dealer, try another, there are tons of them out there and some are actually good people, doing the right thing..

Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by sdoomaha

How does a manufacturer not support their products...albeit old products?
I`m going to throw the BS flag here...

You apparently have little experience working on old machinery...

Harley Davidson supports its old products better than any other vehicle manufacturer.

Try restoring a 25 year old Honda and you will see what lack of factory support really is.

The dealership does not want to work on older bikes, and that is their choice. They are in business to make money, and probably figure that working on the older machines will slow down their production rate in the service dept.

And a 24 year old bike with a hardtail, open belt drive...No way.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-01-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Try restoring a 25 year old Honda and you will see what lack of factory support really is.

You don't even have to go back 25 years.
I was fixing my sons '03 and the dealer had nothing in stock.

The local Harley dealer still has most of the stock stuff in stock for my '95.
Granted some is discontinued but it is still readily available from some other source.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You don't even have to go back 25 years.
I was fixing my sons '03 and the dealer had nothing in stock.

The local Harley dealer still has most of the stock stuff in stock for my '95.
Granted some is discontinued but it is still readily available from some other source.
Stopped by my dealer Thursday, on the way home. Picked up an ignition switch decal for my '94 Dyna and some '79 Shovelhead push rod tube quad seals.. Both in stock, with some caliper bolts, the total bill was $12.... Damn thieves'!!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone is missing the point here he said he has pics where are they
Lol
But seriously

Sent from my iPhone using two left handed thumbs

Quick Reply: Dealer won't touch an EVO?