EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dealer won't touch an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

None of the HD dealers around here will work on an EVO either. In fact, if you even ask they kinda look down their nose at you. It's a culture I freakin hate. I'm old enough to remember the old dealers who knew HD from flat head to the latest one's off the line (which was the EVO). In our area all those dealers were run out of business by the MoCo. They were a little "too biker". Then there were the HD/Kawasaki dealers.

In 2001 my wife and I bought two brand new HD sportsters. One day they were having an event at the dealer and this guy rides up on a shovel head. He breaks down and tries to get some help at the dealer fixing it. They flat out refused to even try. I learned a big lesson that day. The brand loyalty to the loyal HD rider only reaches so far. That guy was left to his own resources dead in the dealer parking lot. Lucky for him there was an old biker there that went and got his trailer and helped the guy get his bike home. If memory serves it wasn't a major repair. I think it may have been a broken cable or similar thing. Now granted, they may not have had a cable. From what I saw they wouldn't even look to see if they could scab some temporary fix together to get the guy home. Nevertheless, it looked bad. Seems to me that they could have at least tried to help the guy, or pretend to anyway.

I have never forgotten that. The "biker" image is devoid of the actual biker spirit.

Granted, I get that the MoCo needs to be successful etc.. I get that they can't logistically support every model ever made at the greater corporate level. But, in an emergency, during an event at their dealership, one would think they they would at least try to help folks. I'm sure this happens from time to time at dealers.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HarDlife
I read your entire text and the only thing I remember is HD panties.
I think the beauty in your avatar needs to shop at my HD dealer, they have plenty of panties.

Hmmm I just rescued the kitty in this pic from being run over by a car in a parking lot (I rescued the dog too BTW but from the pound), i wonder if I can find someone to model for a pic like your avatar...does your model need to take any other shots? I can let you use my kitty.....

Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I just bought a 03 Heritage Springer over the weekend...that stupid alarm is about to drive me nuts. I armed it once and couldn't turn it off. I hope I never hit that button again by accident.
Careful with that damn thing... My parents still live down there, We took the bikes to Key West one day and decided to swap out. I hopped on his new '11 Ultra Limited at a gas station in Marathon and the jumped on my Dyna..As they left the gas station, I tried to start his and it simply laughed at me, he still had the key fob in his pocket, heading up US1.......

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
Careful with that damn thing... My parents still live down there, We took the bikes to Key West one day and decided to swap out. I hopped on his new '11 Ultra Limited at a gas station in Marathon and the jumped on my Dyna..As they left the gas station, I tried to start his and it simply laughed at me, he still had the key fob in his pocket, heading up US1.......
I know...I got lucky, I keep the key to my RK in my riding jacket, jumped on the Springer to go to the Darryl Gwynn benefit at show Saturday, reached in my jacket pocket when I got there and I'd left the key and fob for the springer back home.

Luckily somehow the alarm wasn't armed (don't know how it works), but I had to go old school to secure the bike while I walked around...put the plug wires in my pocket.

Gonna RTFM right now.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I know...I got lucky, I keep the key to my RK in my riding jacket, jumped on the Springer to go to the Darryl Gwynn benefit at show Saturday, reached in my jacket pocket when I got there and I'd left the key and fob for the springer back home.

Luckily somehow the alarm wasn't armed (don't know how it works), but I had to go old school to secure the bike while I walked around...put the plug wires in my pocket.

Gonna RTFM right now.
If I wasn't retarded and wouldn't hook them up wrong when I got done I'd probably do the same.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Asked about parts for my 77 Ironhead at the local HD dealer and the reply was:
"I don't sell parts for bikes older than I am".
Punkass little punk.

Seems to be the way of the world. Toyota dealer sells nothing for my 88 Camry these days. Honda dealers got nothing for the old Honda Four.

But BMW still actually makes every part for nearly every model ever made and can supply it to any dealer in the world. YOu just got to bend over and pay the price.
But don't let their techs near your old model Beemer.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM
sdoomaha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics be coming

OK...finally got back from several work trips the last few weeks. Picking up my springer this Sat. The weathers supposed to be bad so I should find some time to finally post some pics since I likely wont be riding too much....but then again...a new toy...you never know. : )

Thanks again to those that contributed and shared on this thread. Looking forward to reaching out as needed to those with the knowledge and "secrets" that aren't in the service manual (found one I could download online for $5...NICE).

Looking forward to joining the EVO family....please don't disown me cause I got a twinkie as well. : )