EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tweakin' the VOES, upgrading the ignition...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tweakin' the VOES, upgrading the ignition...

So, as I had mentioned in another post, I get an occasional light ping (when the bike is fully hot) at take off and at lower rpm (2-2500) throttle roll-on. As many know, I have 10:1pistons, evl-3020 cam, stock heads, SE ign module, SE slip ons, and 46/180 jetted CV. Cranking compression is fairly high (185+). Yes, I use 93.
I will do the obligatory checks for intake/exhaust leaks, but I don't think there are any.
I have read about tweaking the VOES to operate @ a higher vacuum, do you guys think this would benefit my situation?
Also thinking about upgrading the ignition to a programmable unit, again would this help trim out the ping? If so, what brand works best for EVOs?
Any other suggestions/ideas?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

2000I Dyna or Ultima, 4 settings with voes control if wanted, can custom program timing if needed, don't know how to do it but a feature. Have a 2000I on 2nd timing setting with is 1 below fully advanced, no voes and run it hard.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
2000I Dyna or Ultima, 4 settings with voes control if wanted, can custom program timing if needed, don't know how to do it but a feature. Have a 2000I on 2nd timing setting with is 1 below fully advanced, no voes and run it hard.
Thanks bagger. Why no VOES?

Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Don't have any issues with detonation riding solo and running the snot out of it. Engine set up at 9.8-1 with a 40 intake timing W6H in around 180 ccp, AFR is spot on.
Voes is a safety net but also will delay some giddy up as retarding timing is loss of power, I still believe it comes down to proper AFR's because that is same reason why dyno tuners are paid good money - proper AFR's first and then fine tune timing advancement for tweaking max power, retarding timing is a band aid if a engine is lean in the midrange area.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

I figured it was because yours is dialed in. I would like to get a wideband and work on the afr as well.
Harley budget is kinda thin these days, haha. Take it easy...

Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Heh, I wish I had built mine up enough to have these problems. Mine came full advanced, I figured with the cam I would retard it a little bit so I did... not too much, and probably not enough to matter.

Hope you get it sorted out and I can't wait to see the results. You need to put that puppy on a dyno!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

What do your plugs look like? Also, your issue is in the lower band and you are running a 46 slow speed, why not bump it up to a 48 and drop a sporty needle in there, re-adjust the idle mixture and run the snot out off it to see where you end up...

Ds

Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

the ultma ignition i have been using in the shop for years, and only had one give us an issue and that was the timing Led burned out - ultma rep when i called him was your kidding i have sold thousands and never had one come back -

the ultma has settings for when the curv starts and have never had it ping once i reset to a correct spot

Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doug S
What do your plugs look like? Also, your issue is in the lower band and you are running a 46 slow speed, why not bump it up to a 48 and drop a sporty needle in there, re-adjust the idle mixture and run the snot out off it to see where you end up...
Ds
This might a good plan of attack, your entering a world with needing fuel to keep the cylinders cool. Don't know what needle you have in it but a richer fuel adjustment will cost a fraction of a adjustable module.

You may still be lean example: I have a 89" that needed a CV set up 50 low, most aggressive aftermarket needle and 205 that looks overkill on paper but it makes perfect numbers going down the road. Try some more fuel first before spending more money and Mia(John) had voes pressures down to a science.

If you run it hard in cold weather, the snot will come of your nose instead of the bike so be aware of that

Last edited by 1997bagger; 03-09-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
HarDlife
Road Warrior

I'll get a coupla sets of plugs and chop a set to see what they look like. These have been used with the enricher so much I wouldn't trust a read on them.
I have a cvp velocity needle (my understanding same as old sporty n65 needle) and cvp emulsion tube in it. It had the best throttle response with a 45 in it, with 46 it has very slight hesitation when you chop the throttle off idle, which is why I haven't gone any richer with the slow jet. I'm willing to give anything a try, though.
The worst rattle I've experienced was leaving from a dead stop after after a 40 mile straight run. 80* day riding 2 up. It was right off idle as I let the clutch out, had to give it more gas and bring the revs up feathering the clutch to get rid of it. Gone completely once we got rolling. Riding solo, it's only after I run her fairly hard, and it's very faint and brief, occuring if I roll on the throttle below 2500 rpms. Don't know if this makes sense to anyone, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Otherwise, she runs like a raped ape.

Quick Reply: Tweakin' the VOES, upgrading the ignition...