EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Single fire ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts
Default Single fire ignition.

I got this info off the box and know there is several opinions on this so thought Id post it. I was thinking about up grading my Ignition to the Ultima which looks to be exactly like the Dyna 2000i, for 1/2 the price.
Quote:
Harley Davidson’s have two cylinders and of course two spark plugs. When one piston is compressing or firing the other is either on its way down or on its way back up. The problem is that when the correct spark plug is firing so is the other one, this is dual fire; both plugs fire at the same time even though only one is needed. The problem is that there may be fuel remaining in the other piston which will ignite causing the engine to fight itself by trying to pushing the upward moving piston back down again. This affects you in many ways, increased vibration, lower fuel economy, your plugs where out twice as fast, hard starting, lower horse power and lower torque. But single fire only fires one plug at a time, the one that should be fired, the one when the piston is fully compressed and full of fuel mixture. The other spark plug sits and waits its turn. So, you get the opposite of dual fire; less vibration, better fuel economy, your plugs last twice as long, easier starting, more horsepower and torque.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

The OEM setup is properly referred to as "waste spark." It is a good system. A single fire MIGHT provide a very slighly smoother idle, but that's it. I don't think anyone has ever shown a power gain, better fuel economy, etc. from one. Complexity goes up as well, as you now have 2 separate coils (even if they look like 1 coil) instead of 1 coil.

People like the Ultima ignitions. I would consider one if I needed it, but would hook it up to run on a stock coil (waste spark.)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

As in the quote, wouldn't setting it up back to wasted spark be contrary to what is trying to improve? I don't see an improvement.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

I have two different bikes. One has single fire ignition and the other dual fire ignition. Can't tell the difference at all. Selling hype.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I've been running single fire ignitions for about 8 or 9 yrs now at least on both my shovel and my dresser. Both are larger motors of 93" and 113" and both run great using them. One is a cone module (shovel) and the dresser has the module under the cover. Both are Crane HI-4 systems, one being the HI-4E.

I run Dyna twin tower coils on the shovel (dual plugged heads) and the Crane all in one coil on the dresser.

Griz

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
As in the quote, wouldn't setting it up back to wasted spark be contrary to what is trying to improve? I don't see an improvement.
Aside from the single fire feature, the "improvement" would be being able to fine tune your timing curve, as well as a few other less important features.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:01 AM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarDlife
Aside from the single fire feature, the "improvement" would be being able to fine tune your timing curve, as well as a few other less important features.
I would think Fine tuning would be a plus for the fine line between pinging and advancement for a performance motor. I have 10.1 with shaved heads so a professional tuner might be able to dial it in better. I have the Dyna S with tweaked springs and weights now.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

The quote is BS, pure and simple, yes, there may possibly be a TINY amount of fuel in the exhaust gases of the other cylinder but with no compression going on and no fresh air to burn with it the likelihood of combustion occurring is on a par with being served at a gas station by Elvis and Buddy Holly.

Gas is only there to ignite the air......there is 13 times more air than fuel in a combustion explosion in an automobile motor. Exhaust gases don't contain enough air to ignite.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks Spanner. Also, would the better ignition "Altima- Dyna 2000i"give me any better timing for my High compression 10.1, setting advance before pinging starts?

Last edited by aces&8s; 03-11-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Thanks Spanner. Also, would the better ignition "Altima- Dyna 2000i"give me any better timing for my High compression 10.1, setting advance before pinging starts?
Adjustable advance curves are never a bad thing on a tweaked motor....final ign timing is down to where you set it to.

Quick Reply: Single fire ignition.