EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Chirp under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
That's just it, where is it going? I have been keeping a close eye on the floor and the underside of the bike to look for any drips, and nothing has been dripping. I can find no leaks anywhere.
I'm thinking you might want to drain the tranny, for a couple of reasons. First, you be able to look at the drain plug and the fluid and see what it looks like. If you were running it as low you think you were, and if the chirp is coming from the tranny, you might be able to see any metal shaving, etc. You could then measure the fluid and see just how much you actually had in there. If you do this, I would clean the drain pan really well before draining the fluid. If everything looks good, at least you would have peace of mind regarding the tranny fluid.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the trans oil and primary oil are checked with the bike straight up right like it was going down the road - trans is 1//2 of a quart we use bel ray hypoid 85 / 140 and the primary is 2 quarts we use ATF dextron 3
My shop manual calls out for 44-48 ounces in the primary. 2 qts would be at least a pint too much.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drain the trans as mentioned above clean pan & all , also have your bike on a jack/lift table so it's stright up like riding pop off the inspection cover the primer cover , or the derby cover & check the level of oil in there you might be leaking over into the primer & causeing the clutch to go south on ya , you say the noise stops when you pull the clutch in no matter what RPM your at , That's why I say pull the derby cover off oil should be right at the bottom of the lip there if it runs out the seal from trans to primer is leaking

Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD48
My shop manual calls out for 44-48 ounces in the primary. 2 qts would be at least a pint too much.
in the shop in jersey we fill them to the bottom of the derby opening with the bike on a lift since 92 - maybe 200 a year and i have to admit i never measured it to be exact on oz

today even using ATF we never seen it to be an issue - but when we see one that has a leak
and its been driven quite a bit with it the low level oil at that lower level is always dark and smelly but a service bike its not < might be a coincidence - jz

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
IronHayden
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 Fxstc will chirp from time to time. It's the drive belt. Put a small amount of Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease on a few of the belt cogs. Adios chirp.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Tranny looked fine after draining/refilling.

Drive belt appears loose. I have over an inch of deflection up in the air and almost an inch with it on the ground and someone sitting on it. From the manual, that's way too much, so I will adjust it tighter and see what happens. Max deflection in the manual is 3/8" with 10 pounds of force applied midway between pulleys. What does that transpose to unweighted in the air? I'm guessing 1/2" or so when on the stand?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't read the answers you've all ready received so this might be a repete. Try squirting some WD-40 0n the rubber blocks of the exhaust fastener bolts under the saddle bags. I know that's not the correct name for things, but I do believe you can find them.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flashprez
I know that's not the correct name for things, but I do believe you can find them.
Hangers. < $3 ea.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but wouldn't they squeak with the engine rpm, under load or not?

Got the belt tightened up some. Heading out for a test-ride. Wish me luck...

Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
Yeah, but wouldn't they squeak with the engine rpm, under load or not?

Got the belt tightened up some. Heading out for a test-ride. Wish me luck...

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Chirp under load