EVO All Evo Model Discussion

stock heritage springer exhaust any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM
sno-man
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stock heritage springer exhaust any good?

Hi Guys, I have the chance to buy a stock set of heritage springer exhaust for my 99 stock heritage softail, my Bike is all stock with the se air cleaner and jet kit, and se mufflers, just wondering if I will loose power with that stock springer exhaust? I really like the way the stock springer exhaust looks, wondering if or how much power I would loose? Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Stock. yes

Sno,

After installing the stock exhaust, you may lose a bit of power. She may run a bit rich as well. That said, I think that the 97-99 Heritage Springers were the best looking Softails HD ever produced. Even if you don't install the stock mufflers, I'd buy them anyway. It will help maintain bike value. In my opinion keeping her stock maintains value.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by ironoxide; 03-29-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

The difference in value between a Harley with stock vs non-stock exhaust is negligible. These bikes are not an investment with very very few exceptions. Do whatever turns you on.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
sno-man
Cruiser

I'm not to conserned on value of bike, just wondering if anyone had any info on the hp of the stock FLSTS exhaust vs slips on for a FLSTC. thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 09:48 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sno,

The 1999 HD parts catalog displays hp and torque curves for their Screamin Eagle performance upgrades. Most HD dealers still have parts catalogs that go back to 99'. I'd check them out. It will provide general performance expectations of stock vs 1,2 and 3 stage Screamin Eagle upgrades.

That said, the only way to know for sure is to have it dyno'd with each set of muffles. Your the only one who knows if that's worth the effort.

On my bike I went from stock with the baffles removed, to completely stock, to a set of Screamin Eagles. The only think I noticed - besides a difference in sound, was a difference in MPG.

Last edited by ironoxide; 03-29-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

You will deefinately notice a difference and less giddyup with the stock springer exhaust over your SE slip-ons... But if you spring for samsom fistail slipons you will get it back and probably have a nicer sound...

Ds

Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

The stock FLSTS crossovers are nice, but the mufflers are catalytic converters, which IMO will rob you of power. But you could always just use the FLSTS Header Pipe crossovers, and use your SE Mufflers to complete the system. In doing so I don't think there would be any noteable difference in performance.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 PM
sno-man
Cruiser

ok thanks guys, my se mufflers are for the stock heritage 2-2 system, would they work on the springer exhaust? thanks

Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sno-man
ok thanks guys, my se mufflers are for the stock heritage 2-2 system, would they work on the springer exhaust? thanks
I don't see why they wouldn't. Your current header pipes look like these in the pic, right? If so, it should pretty much be a direct bolt-on. The attach points for the mufflers may need some modifications, but shouldn't be very difficult.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Accessory catalog for '99 states the SE set up gives you about 15% increase in torque (at the peak) throughout RPM range. States the SE is designed to work with stock mufflers. Guess you have to assume you will give some of it back.

Regarding using your SE mufflers...catalog lists 3 different ones for your Softail, 2 slash cut (shorty duals and shotgun) and 1 straight cut (shotgun exhaust). Thinking it is probably the mounting system that differentiates them?

Back then the price on the dual exhaust system was $599 before tax and you still had to purchase the tips which went from $32-60 depending on the tip (there were 8 offered). What type of tip is on the set up you are looking at?

Quick Reply: stock heritage springer exhaust any good?