EVO All Evo Model Discussion

This seems awefully expensive...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This seems awefully expensive...

for a fluid change, especially considering the fact that it looks like they are short on the primary fluid...and there is no oil filter included. What are ya'lls thoughts:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...rpacks#reviews

I'm still trying to figure out my fluids. I've done a ton of reading and have gotten 101 opinions but no definitive answers. HD can't/won't tell me what weight oils they are using in the tranny and primary.

I'm thinking about just going with Amsoil and calling it good b/c this is frustrating as hell. Seems like a lot of folks are swearing by the Amsoil. I read somewhere on here where someone was using a different colored oil for each application so he could tell what was leaking. That sounded like a really good idea to me but I can't find the thread again.

Not to beat a dead horse but I've got to get these fluids changed soon and I'd like to make sure I do it right.

One last thing...what aftermarket oil filter are you guys using??? Is the Wicks filter a good choice? Thanks!

Last edited by AAAC; 04-04-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Kn-170
C for chrome
B for black
17mm welded on nut for an easy removal.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
for a fluid change, especially considering the fact that it looks like they are short on the primary fluid...and there is no oil filter included. What are ya'lls thoughts:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...rpacks#reviews

I'm still trying to figure out my fluids. I've done a ton of reading and have gotten 101 opinions but no definitive answers. HD can't/won't tell me what weight oils they are using in the tranny and primary.

I'm thinking about just going with Amsoil and calling it good b/c this is frustrating as hell. Seems like a lot of folks are swearing by the Amsoil. I read somewhere on here where someone was using a different colored oil for each application so he could tell what was leaking. That sounded like a really good idea to me but I can't find the thread again.

Not to beat a dead horse but I've got to get these fluids changed soon and I'd like to make sure I do it right.

One last thing...what aftermarket oil filter are you guys using??? Is the Wicks filter a good choice? Thanks!
It can be frustrating, but you will settle in on what you like after trying a few. I have not used Redline, but hear it is good. On the filter I buy mine at the HD dealership, not sure if others are better, but it gives me a chance to look at other bikes and ideas for my next project. I have a great friend that runs Amsoil, swears by it and has run it for years. I have tried several brands, they are all good especially when changed and kept clean. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 2,871 Posts

asking about oil is like asking about a woman -

harley oil is what ever that week is cheaper from suppliers same with the labeled filters they want to sell you another bike every couple of years --- not keep it for life like some of us do

i restore antique bikes and Evos are becoming that in a few years for plates an insurance

MOTOR -- we in my shop use dyno 20 / 50 motorcycle oil - i like lucas and i like ultma 20 / 50

trans -- we use bel ray 85 / 140 Hypoid nothing else Big twins - sporty bel ray also sells one

primary -- we use all big twins dextron 3 ATF - street hot rod sportys Mobil 1 Dextron 3

fork oil we use Bel ray 20W heavy bike - 15 lighter FX type --- and 10W buell and sportys

every one has an opinion this is what have been using almost forever -- sell thousands of dollars of it every year -- the guys like it as well - filters KN - is very good but we also carry the nut end filter with an internal magnet inside - and the shops bikes we cut them open and take a look at changes --This is what i do - johnjzjz

Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

REdline is Way over priced even for synthetic.
Most auto parts stores have Valvoline VR1 Race 20-50 for $6 qt. Also while your there get Lucas 75-140 for trany. Then I go to the HDealer for My Evo oil filter and Belray primary fluid. When temp get above 90* I get straight 60 wt Valvoline VR1 race oil. The VR1 race oil has extra Zink in it, works good with hot air cooled engines.

Last edited by aces&8s; 04-04-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Spectro or BelRay 80-140 for tranny

whoever's dextron/mercon ATF for primary. haven't found em to be overly picky

for oil: for dino, i always used valvoline vr-1. did one oil change with Spectro, noticed nothing, went back to VR-1

for Synthetic (which I'm running in the 124 after the initial break in), I'm going back to my roots from the race cars. Lucas 20-50 syn (also recommended by R&R Cycles for their racing engines)

Filters, OEM HD (NOT twincam filter, make sure! I've had dealers try to give me twinkie filters) or K&N

go on Amazon.com I just picked up 2 cases (12qt) of Lucas 20-50syn and 5 K&N oil filters for $150 shipped to my door. Couldn't buy it that cheap anywhere around here

Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I think I'm going to go with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 for the engine and the primary and Mobil 75W90 for the tranny. I'm tired of this headache...gonna try to keep it simple and see how it works out.

I see a lot of guys recommending 75W140 but I've also seen a lot of recommendations for 75W90. I have no idea which is better but at this point, I just have to pick one.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I'm going to go with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 for the engine and the primary and Mobil 75W90 for the tranny. I'm tired of this headache...gonna try to keep it simple and see how it works out.

I see a lot of guys recommending 75W140 but I've also seen a lot of recommendations for 75W90. I have no idea which is better but at this point, I just have to pick one.
This is exactly my combination, quite, cool, and easy shifting.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

My 1996 Electra Glide Likes
Car Mobil 1 synthetic 20/50 Never had a problem with the car stuff( Rotella shell 20/50 brake in)
80 wt dino trans
Valvoline ATF dext. car transmission fluid

Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Well that's done. You'll be fine with the Mobil. I have used it for 76k miles and my bike runs great.

Quick Reply: This seems awefully expensive...