EVO All Evo Model Discussion

oil light on after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
apples402
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default oil light on after cam install

put a new cam in today. new lifters new cam bearing, 92 dyna glide. the old cam had a worn lobe on it causing it to be noisy. everything went fine started and ran fine, rode around town for about an hour suddenly the oil light comes on, it is not ratteling took the oil sending unit out and it is burbling oil out dont have a guage but it seems to have some oil pressure. what did i do wrong?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

When was the last time you cleaned the lifter screen?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 PM
apples402
Road Captain

checked that first it is clean, question how much oil should come out of sending unit galley when running?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by apples402
checked that first it is clean, question how much oil should come out of sending unit galley when running?
All of it if you leave it running!!!

9 times out of 10 its the sender unit but you may have a stuck pressure release valve.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM
apples402
Road Captain

i guess my question should be how much flow? it comes out but is a slow burble. if it is a pressure relief valve do i need to replace? or can i remove tower screw and clean?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

i guess my question should be how much flow? it comes out but is a slow burble. if it is a pressure relief valve do i need to replace? or can i remove tower screw and clean?

You can pull it out of the pump and clean it up.....I have never run a motor with the sender removed so can't answer your question.

If you pull the tappet screen and turn the motor over on the starter (plugs removed) it should make like the last scene in a **** movie.....

If it doesn't then the relief valve is probably stuck....but there could be other causes but as with anything....try the things that don't require money to be spent first of all.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 PM
apples402
Road Captain

ok thanks hope it is something simple runs too good and is quiet, was hoping you would answer. your kees post gave me the courage too do this. will check things tomorrow and let you know.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM
apples402
Road Captain

well things got bad, scavenger gear in oil pump broken. did additional inspection and found needle bearings in behind breather gear. got those out looked at old cam bearing and i must have lost some rollers when pulling. this is frustrating..$400.00 for new pump and have to wait until monday. im assuming the bearings got in the passage behind cam bearing and moved in behind breather, i found 2 there and i am assuming one fell into cam chest and made its way to pump. is there any other place i need to look might be still missing one more if it fell backwards into passage behind cam could it be in crankcase? if so could it make its way back to cam chest.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

well things got bad, scavenger gear in oil pump broken. did additional inspection and found needle bearings in behind breather gear. got those out looked at old cam bearing and i must have lost some rollers when pulling. this is frustrating..$400.00 for new pump and have to wait until monday. im assuming the bearings got in the passage behind cam bearing and moved in behind breather, i found 2 there and i am assuming one fell into cam chest and made its way to pump. is there any other place i need to look might be still missing one more if it fell backwards into passage behind cam could it be in crankcase? if so could it make its way back to cam chest.
so i guess a INA bearing has fallen apart and some of the rollers have found its way into the back of the breather valve Via the crankcase WOW

question were they broken pieces of the full length rollers

the roller you took from the oil intake hole to the pump was it broken ( that broke the pump gear ) was it a smaller piece

reason the plastic breather gear has large slots and if this is small pieces than OH Boy

if this has happened as you posted i am sorry to inform you but this will happen again if you dont split the cases and remove all the roller pieces from the crankcase

i have never seen that and i had thought i had seen it all so to speak i stand corrected if this is the case -- johnjzjz

Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM
apples402
Road Captain

they were all full rollers. i think they slid down the bearing boss into the breather gear area, not blown up there, is this possible, i am looking at the oiling diagram in the manual and it doesnt look like the passage behind the cam goes down into the crankcase, am i wrong. also the return passage from the crankcase is up about 2inches how much oil stays in crankcase or is this all mist?

Quick Reply: oil light on after cam install