EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Open belt drive help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

My 3 inch bdl. I got it from one of the editors of the horse and I must say that I am very impressed with it. I can take it on and off in about 15 minutes

Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

JJ, to help you along with making your decision, here is a better image of my '97 with the Ultima 2" belt:

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I suppose it comes down to which ever one I want..was leaning towards the primo IV, but hell, I suppose the Ultima and BDL all do the same thing..

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
no it wont see a drag strip just a bar hopper if I notice wear on the clutch bearing I might ad it later this will give you an idea how long the bike is
God damn that scoot going to look real nice when done.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbito
So is there a replacement parts so I don't have to buy a whole new assemble. Is it a bad thing also if I leave it alone?
I guess that depends on who you bought it from, I would say the worst case scenario is the plates beat a groove into the basket and the plates could get hung up in the groove and not release. Wouldn't be the first time somebody shifted without the benefit of the clutch. I'm not advising it, but you should be able to limp it home if it happens and order a new basket from the company you bought it from. Or maybe just order one ahead of time.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I guess that depends on who you bought it from, I would say the worst case scenario is the plates beat a groove into the basket and the plates could get hung up in the groove and not release. Wouldn't be the first time somebody shifted without the benefit of the clutch. I'm not advising it, but you should be able to limp it home if it happens and order a new basket from the company you bought it from. Or maybe just order one ahead of time.
witch one do you recommend I have a bdl with small grooves in it from the clutchI have a primo sitting on the shelf from the clutch exploding both of them have steel baskets
the new ultima I have I pulled the china bearing out and replaced it with good one and it is the new upgraded steel basket not sure how many miles I will get out of it but I am sure how hard I will ride it

the bdl has 40,000 hard hole shot, burnout 103hp miles on it and still going
the primo had 85,000 on it with the same riding style only it was 124hp

Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

If they are working for you stay with them. Steel baskets are a good thing, the aluminum ones blow dog unless you are just using the bike to run down the drag strip a few times and swapping the basket out anyway. We only made belt drives for the softails and used zinc plated 1045 steel for wear resistance. You get that chatter noise out of ours send it back because there is something wrong.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:30 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

If they are working for you stay with them. Steel baskets are a good thing, the aluminum ones blow dog unless you are just using the bike to run down the drag strip a few times and swapping the basket out anyway. We only made belt drives for the softails and used zinc plated 1045 steel for wear resistance. You get that chatter noise out of ours send it back because there is something wrong.
thanks for the info if this ultima blows out to soon ill look at yours again
I have your dd6 in a s&s case and the quality of your gears is great so I don't doubt your belt drive is good.
at first I was looking at the baker belt drive but did not see any offsets large enough I need 1-1/4" offset

Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D_gyver
thanks for the info if this ultima blows out to soon ill look at yours again
I have your dd6 in a s&s case and the quality of your gears is great so I don't doubt your belt drive is good.
at first I was looking at the baker belt drive but did not see any offsets large enough I need 1-1/4" offset
Yea unfortunately we only made a 0" and 1/2" offset.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

Yea unfortunately we only made a 0" and 1/2" offset.
I was thinking about it today what belt pitch do you use could I use your system with my front pulley from the primo

Quick Reply: Open belt drive help