EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Open belt drive help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking on Primo's site, didn't see a steel basket for theirs..? Dgyver, you say you have a steel one on that ultima?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by junglejoe
I was looking on Primo's site, didn't see a steel basket for theirs..? Dgyver, you say you have a steel one on that ultima?
yes the upgraded ultima has stainless steel inserts in the basket to stop the wear you have to make sure when you buy it. it has the new basket a lot of those ebay deals don't that's why they're so cheap

Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

One more question for you open belt riders..Does your bike jerk and buck when cruising or when you let off the throttle coming to a stop or slowing down? Read somewhere that ones with open belts their bike does that

Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junglejoe
One more question for you open belt riders..Does your bike jerk and buck when cruising or when you let off the throttle coming to a stop or slowing down? Read somewhere that ones with open belts their bike does that
I don't really notice any jerking. It seem really smooth. I like it more then the 2000 or 2001(memory bad can't remember chit lol)deuce I had with stock primary. I'm trying to think of problems I'm having with it can't name one. Oh one is the ol lady scared of it lol but she getting use to it.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 652 Posts

Nope. Mine doesn't do that either

Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 AM
2006FLST
Road Master

I have ran a 3 inch BDL on an old chopper and now a 1.5 inch BDL on my softail (enclosed but with the derby and inspection covers off). I know this has been mentioned but just follow the instructions and be sure it is aligned and it will last for a long time. When I bought my bike I was going to have to replace my factory clutch basket and my outer cover was most likely warped due to a leak I could not get rid of (stator plug was also leaking). So $400 later I put this BDL set up in 4 years ago and was a great purchase. Simple to work on and NO leaks and NO fluid. And yes it is noisy but I like it. Mine being sort of enclosed sounds like a super charger spinning due to the echo in the primary cover. BDL claims this set up will handle lots of power but all I have is a cam but so far so good.

Last edited by 2006FLST; 04-29-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

BDL seems to be cheaper then the Primo's...But after reading that everyone said they could never get ahold of the tech's at BDL, Think i'll go with the Primo. Even thinking about the Ultima's. ordering one or the other tomorrow or Friday,,depends when I can get off in time to make it by the shop!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

One big thing about BDL's are the annoying tranny splines for clutch basket. The BDL (not sure on the ultima's) require a large amount of red loctite on the splines when you place it on the tranny shaft. They can wash out. I have actually seen this happen (not on mine). Easy when installing. BUT when you remove the clutch basket you need a steering wheel puller to take it off. The primo's go on with anti-seize and slide off into your hands when removing. Both set ups work. BDL is cheaper. But primo makes that part nice and easy! If money was no issue I would go primo. Just my opinion. Yes I have BDL (because money was part of the decision) but they work when installed correctly and I have had great luck with them.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it. My buddy who owns a shop is hooking me up for about the same price as the BDL unit for the Primo

Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

One more thing. Unless it has changed. BDL uses the single springs that make the clutch harder to pull than stock. I put an easy pull set up in my tranny which made it easy. BUT Primo uses the diaphram clutch so the pull is easier. When I bought my BDL I just put on the easy pull knowing it would be a pain. So another win for Primo. Dang it I need a primo now!!!

Quick Reply: Open belt drive help