EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Open belt drive help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Open belt drive help

Ok, so the bike will be down for about a month, so I figure now is the time IF I'm doing to do it, put a open belt drive on it...been reading this morning and there is so much chit about do's and don't... anyone in here actually run one? What happenes if you're out somewhere and that belt breaks? I don't even know how the sum-beech goes on there yet...But was just wondering what you guys thought? Are they noisy? Some said they are, some said they wasn't. . Why are they saying don't go under a 3 inch's belt? Cheap ones good as the BDL unit? I AM FULLY AWARE TO KEEP YOUR PANTS AND FOOT AWAY FROM IT WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING OR RIDING!!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 353 Posts
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About 5 years ago, I put one of the ultima 3.25" open primary on my bobber...... I just followed the directions...... Went on pretty easily. I'm not a mechanic by any means, worked good, but mine was loud, can't vouch for BDL or primo

Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,008 Likes on 2,602 Posts

OK here you go. I put a 2" open belt on my 1997 Wide Glide three winters ago, this is what I went with:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/beltdrives2.html

The open drive is narrower than the stock primary and therefore actually increased my cornering clearance. I had plenty of rub marks on the bottom of my outer primary cover when I removed it. So far zero complaints or issues, I love it. Yes it makes noise, especially when you are stopped with the clutch disengaged and in gear. But I love the noise as well. Reminds me of a Ducati with all of the rattles. I have 2" extension on my forward control so my pants are not near the belt so I am running it with no guard. This is the best picture I have of it on hand:

Part of the job for me was to also change the rear belt to a 1-1/8", via a conversion kit that HD sold in the early 2000's. My local dealer did a search and found it for me. It is just a new belt and a rear pulley that is narrower but has the bolt pattern to fit pre-99 wheels and it is spaced appropriately. With that kit I was able to put a 150 on the back of the bike as well. Overall a great pair of upgrades.

Last edited by Architect; 04-13-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
junglejoe
Road Master

Thanks for the info....helps on my decision!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

What's the difference in the bearing support and non bearing support for the 3 inch belt drives? Ultima is out of the ones with the bearing support. Sounds like it would be needed, if nothing else just for extra insurance ??

Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The outer bearing are easier on the tranny bearings/seals, etc.
John

Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,008 Likes on 2,602 Posts

The deeper/wider the belt and pulley, the more stress it will put on the bearing and seals at the backing plate. For a 3" I think you want it, but I am no expert.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
rapid49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run a 3" BDL with no bearing support for 11 years without any major issue. I've beat on it pretty hard wth a 113" . I have replaced the clutch plates a couple of times and I have put holes in the belt by sucking in a rock on a gravel road. I've never had a belt fail yet. My current belt has had a small hole in it for a couple of years now. I probably wont change it unless it gets worse. The dry clutch is noisy but I like the sound. If I wanted a quiet bike I would buy a BMW.

Attached Thumbnails Open belt drive help-rigid.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Rabbito
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about mine belt says ultima think it 3". It is loud but it grows on you

Attached Thumbnails Open belt drive help-image-1090056755.jpg  

Quick Reply: Open belt drive help