EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What to do if your clutch cable is too long???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the manual way is the only real fix.

Originally Posted by AAAC
I did this exact procedure and after I did, I wasn't able to get the cable to tighten back up. I had about 5/8" play between the ferrule and the clutch lever assembly. I then tried to put some spacers in to see if the clutch would work and the lever would not pull in. This is when that old timer stepped in and readjusted my clutch pack...which got things working OK but I don't know if it's adjusted right.
can't tell you what to do but I bought my bike with apes and changed them right away. Clutch never worked correctly until I bought new cable, stock length and then followed the manual adjustmest procedure. Very litle issues with clutch since then.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

If it works its probably right.....the clutch centre adjustment isn't difficult, there just needs to be a tiny amount of free play between that adjuster and the pushrod.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 AM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
If it works its probably right.....the clutch centre adjustment isn't difficult, there just needs to be a tiny amount of free play between that adjuster and the pushrod.

I think I'm going to take my chances with "leaving good enough alone" and hope he didn't tighten it down too tight. I just got off the phone with the old timer and he said that part of the problem was that I had the center adjustment too loose. He said the other part of the problem is my cable is too long and I probably need a cable about 1" shorter than the one on there...which is probably not available unless it's a custom made cable. So, I'm going to hope she's adjusted right and ride her! Thanks!