EVO All Evo Model Discussion

89 FLHTP butterfly carb float adjustment

Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Snipman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 FLHTP butterfly carb float adjustment

Had my plastic fuel elbow crack so decided while I had carb off might as well do a cleaning and kit it. Well all went well on the elbow and the kit, I thought. Had drained tank and replaced petcock also, as it was leaking also. Placed the gas back in which I had drained from tank and no leaks. About 1.5 gallons. Fired up and went to top off and pulled back in garage and gas pouring out of overflow. Tried the screwdriver to the bowl trick. Still leaked. Pulled the bowl and carefully looked at the new needle and it was longer overall than the old due to the little spring loaded tit being longer. Bent tab a little bolted back up and no gas. Too much bend. Pulled bowl again and redid tab, too much overflowed again. Redid again and got it where no overflow and runs good at 2000rpms and above. Need to adjust idle air screw yet as too rich now that clean. Read where should be 16 to 18 mm from bowl mount base to float. Should this measurement be at front of float, side or back? No bowl drain on this baby so can't do the clear tube to set float. I guess I could fill the bowl and pull it off to see where my level is. Any one have a measurement on how high on the overflow pin the fuel level should be? Any and all ideas appreciated. I know all about the cv route but wish to keep this carb if at all possible. Getting 42mpg with it and this is my daily commuter 60 miles a day. Just want it to be dependable and go. Don't want it to be too lean or too rich due to float level. Thanks.